Montana muzzy season

khuber84

WKR
Just orderd a 45cal 20tw pipe from Rice! Gonna have him machine hole spacing for a weaver rail to mount a sig Romeo4 bdc red dot. Will launch 365gr no excuses conicals.

Sounds like a lot of us are very confused by the lack of clarity on Montana’s muzzleloader season. The other surrounding western states have very clear rules, don’t understand why whoever wrote the MT law had to make this so complicated. I’m also excited for the new season but also have a hard time grasping the fuzzy logic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
They updated the page on Fwp website it’s a little more clean but also it doesn’t say you can’t use a electronic sight such as a red dot. I understand what they are trying to do here but they just didn’t do a good job putting pen to pad

lokifox

FNG
Allowing red dots will definitely help out older eyes but doesn’t really extend practical range. With a 45 and a 1 MOA dot with a rest -sure… On a 54 Hawken? Not really.

IMO they should let them stay.

khuber84

WKR
My Rice 45cal 20tw barrel is on order, sent him a pic rail to drill/tap for install on the breach end. Ill be using a sig romeo4 1moa bdc red dot.

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
Hooked on to the trailer and headed out got my schedule cleared till Wednesday then it’s back at if for the back half of this season if need be

hobbes

WKR
I hunted opening morning for elk around Helena and had one truck drive by. I hunted the last three days out east for deer and saw a couple trucks that may have been hunting. I found several little bucks but nothing I wanted to shoot. I never stalked anything so no pressure on the deer at all from me. Either the areas that I hunt are in shorter supply than usual of even decent bucks, or they crawl back into their holes after the rut. The lack of good bucks seen in November make me think it's at least a little of both.

I don't think there will be a lot of folks hunting this season. It's late, it's cold, the snow is crunchy and getting close won't be easy. I think it should definitely stay traditional muzzleloader, no inline, no scopes. I was checked by a game warden out east and he verified that I had a legal muzzleloader. He was a nice guy that I talked to for 15 minutes or so.

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
Friend of mine hunted elk for 7 days in the Georgetown lake area, saw a lot of cows some spikes no legal bulls. Saw a few legal bulls on private. Lots of snow, cold, no other hunters though!

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
I also hunted the entire season first weekend I saw probably 700 deer and the best buck was not even anywhere near 140”. I hunted another part of the stare for 5 days this area is my normal stomping ground I was expecting to see 4-5 150” type bucks a day and possibly stumble onto a cow for my antlerless tag. I can count the bucks I saw on one hand only one was maybe 140-150” rear where 2-3 points. This was a very thought hunt I did miss a shot and a cow. It’s very enjoyable for me because I’d take the cold lack of game for not really seeing other hunters. A very type A hunt you have to wanna do it

lokifox

FNG
You guys are getting me stoked up for next year now.

The muzzleloader is coming together nicely but the weather is almost unbearable at this point... So, it may be spring by the time I get it ready to go for next year. Picked up some of the Hornady Great Plains bullets but I may grab some of the No Excuses if they don't shoot as well as I like.

On a side note... MidwayUSA is blowing out a bunch of traditional stuff. Pre-lubed patches, solvent, a bunch of other muzzleloader specific stuff is marked down 75% or so.

This season has inadvertently gotten me into black powder... picked up a traditional .50 a few months back and have a .54 coming this week.

Looking forward to it this year :)