Montana muzzy season

cgasner1

WKR
Anyone find the actual regulations on this I’m hoping it’s just like Oregon’s but kinda think inlines might be illegal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone find the actual regulations on this I’m hoping it’s just like Oregon’s but kinda think inlines might be illegal

From what I have read, it’s traditional ML only, no inlines.

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
The knight website makes it seem like inlines would be legal and so does go hunt and Fwp hasn’t released a official regulation I can find. The prior muzzy regs for short range hunts also had in lines legal. It would be nice to know if I need to buy another gun or not

Erict

WKR
Montana HB 242 text defining muzzleloader

"(8) There is established a special muzzleloader heritage hunting season that begins on the second
Saturday after the end of the regular season and lasts 9 days. During this season, subject to the provisions of 87-6-401(1)(i) and rules adopted by the commission, a person may take a deer or elk with a valid license or permit using plain lead projectiles and a muzzleloading rifle that is charged with loose black powder, loose pyrodex, or an equivalent loose black powder substitute, and ignited by a flintlock, wheel lock, matchlock, or percussion mechanism using a percussion or musket cap. The muzzleloading rifle must be a minimum of .45 caliber and may not have more than two barrels."

Last edited:
OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
My in-line is ignited by a musket cap

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
To me it seems as if they have 2 separate descriptions of what’s legal
eb9d77ce122323e78f3e36da61fa48a6.jpg

0f87fb7913094482ab456e66690d7c0d.jpg

One page 7 my gun is legal and page 9 it is not

Erict

WKR
I am not sure what muzzleloader you have, but Page 7 states "flintlock, wheel lock, matchlock or percussion mechanism", which would seem to negate all inlines even those that use percussion/musket caps for ignition.

In any case, I do think it could have been better worded in the guide, but it is a "Heritage" season. That being said, I did some digging around to see if the bill had a "history" or "intent". HERE is video of the bill sponsor (at 15:18:40) as he introduced the bill. The intent is clear and does not include "inlines". Good luck.

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
The intent doesn’t mean anything they should have done a much better job with the verbiage of this. It’s a prime example why Fwp should be putting these seasons into effect and not the governor

Erict

WKR
I respectfully disagree that intent does not mean anything in this case or many others.

Laws must be worded so the public can understand them. They cannot always be worded to account for every possible situation. In such cases, looking at the reason the law was created, or Legislative intent, can be helpful.

Legislative intent used by law enforcement/game wardens, etc. daily. For example, I legally shoot a deer at the end of shooting hours on the last day of the season. It's back is broken but it's trying to get up on its front legs. By the time I get to it it is past legal shooting hours and the season is closed. The deer is not dead so I finish it off with 1 round. The laws in my state say it's illegal to hunt outside legal seasons or after hours. By the "letter of the law" I just committed two violations and have an illegal deer. However, that was not the intent of the laws.

That being said, I would be interested to see an inline muzzleloader that uses a percussion mechanism.

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
Traditions makes a side hammer that’s flit lockthat is inline 430 bucks guess I’ll be buying one

Last edited:
OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
Guess I’m buying a née gun sure hope the season doesn’t go away after one year would suck to buy a gun and have the state pull the rug on it after a single year

OP
cgasner1

cgasner1

WKR
Just what MT needs a longer hunting season...might as well just put a bounty on all game and kill every thing that moves.

I agree but I’m pretty excited about this and won’t even take a rifle out of the safe now since I was debating on using my in line anyway during general rifle

khuber84

WKR
Anyone clarify what's acceptable as traditional percussion cap ignition? There are a lot of rifles that use a breach plug percussion system but don't allow it to have the powder/projectile loaded from breach.

Erict

WKR
Just because it uses a percussion cap does not make it a percussion mechanism - both of which must be true to meet the law. Axlrod's post above clearly states "During the muzzleloader season, hunters may not use a muzzleloading rifle that requires insertion of a cap or primer into the open breech of the barrel (inline), is capable of being loaded from the breech, or is mounted with an optical magnification device."

If you still think you have a loophole implement then let us know what make/model it is.

khuber84

WKR
Just because it uses a percussion cap does not make it a percussion mechanism - both of which must be true to meet the law. Axlrod's post above clearly states "During the muzzleloader season, hunters may not use a muzzleloading rifle that requires insertion of a cap or primer into the open breech of the barrel (inline), is capable of being loaded from the breech, or is mounted with an optical magnification device."

If you still think you have a loophole implement then let us know what make/model it is.
I'm not implying anything. I just want to know what's the most high tec "legal" muzzy I can get for this new season. Finding a percussion cap non-breach plug muzzle loader isn't that easy anymore, as 99% seem to have gone that way, I don't want be using a flint lol