Montana Non Resident hunters read!

Gerbdog

WKR
I got no dog in this race, i hunt CO and NM but... yea i guess im not sure i get the logic for MT to do this? surely outfitters are currently pulling in a haul currently without any changes? All those NR tags go to helping hunting / fishing opportunities in the state dont they? (i sure hope they do). Are the elk herds dwindling in MT and they're trying some different approach to manage numbers? Seems backwards.

KHNC

WKR
Sent my emails as well. Good outfitters are hard to find, giving 60% to outfitters will cause every bubba to start an “outfitting” company. I am sure they will be all top notch to justify their $5-8k fee🤮
They will all still be better than Cody Carr. LOL

It is motivated by money both at the state level and outfitter level. I have hunted MT with an outfitter for 25 yrs until a few yrs ago. Initially the Outfitters were guaranteed licenses for their clients. You paid a premium of $400-500 to get this outfitter license versus the general NR draw but were guaranteed. I think somewhere 8 -10 yrs ago it was changed to all draw where the non outfitted license price went up and there was no guaranteed license anymore so if you drew to go with an outfitter your price went down. Your odds went down also. Then MT started charging $ just to apply like the other states. Outfitters didn't like it because they were trying to run a business with multiple openings due to clients not drawing under new system.

States have figured out that Elk, Sheep , Moose applications are revenue streams. They can bring in big $
by just making you buy a license just to apply.

It is sad but the new reality.

Michael S (no idea who that is) made it easy to email the correct people on gohunt. Certainly let your voices be heard respectfully. I have sent the below an email already.
---------------------------------------------
Here is the correct list of emails: Make the email to YOUR email and copy and paste the list into the BCC field. It will work this way.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Last edited:

MtGomer

WKR
This isn’t just a concern for NR hunters.
In fact, it should be more if a concern for Residents than anybody.
Residents of the state of Montana own the state’s elk, not non-residents.
This bill is effectively transferring ownership of elk that Montanans own to Outfitting businesses to sell to Non residents that can afford to pay for it.
New Mexico has outfitter set aside tags and in many units NRs that hunt with an outfitter have much better odds than a resident does at drawing the same tag.
Why should non residents get to buy their way to the front of the line? Why should a private business get government handouts? Especially when that handout comes in the form of a public resource?

Citizen’s initiative I-161 did away with this a decade ago and for good reason.

hobbes

WKR
I hope by "state level" you mean the legislator who is sponsoring the bill. This absolutely is not coming from FWP.

Our problem is FWP is all too often directed to do this or that by the legislature and then takes the blame for mismanagement.

netman

WKR
I sent emails to a couple of their reps. I didn’t realize there were so many. I’m going to fire off more emails in a minute.
I have been in a pissing match on Facebook for about ten days over this.
It’s crazy how the outfitters association is trying to get this passed so the state will provide them with customers. Can you imagine owning a business where it’s mandated by the state that they provide your business with customers.

NB7

WKR
I'm a non-resident with MT points and was planning to hunt there this coming year with some family. I took the time to email everyone on this list. Hope it helps

derricklay23

Lil-Rokslider
I sent an email to each of the senators tonight as well! Hope tomorrow when the bill is discussed it’s shot down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elk97

WKR
Emails sent to all. If they keep the same cap on NR tags then I don't see how the state would make any more $. Unless they charge the outfitters more than the NR tags go for now. Hope this fails.

OP
S
The hearing was yesterday, not sure when it goes up for vote.
On the opinion above from mtgomer, it does not change the allocation of tags for residents. It only allocates the first 60% of NR tags to outfitters. It does allow for 25% of the special permit to go to people with zero points. That’s what should upset you.
States can lay full claim to their resources, by the way, when they start to refuse federal funding. Montana isn’t a country it’s a state in a federation. That amount is almost $5 billion, 40% of the state budget and one of the highest in the country.

netman

WKR
Ellsworth is the senator that introduced SB143.
Just out of curiosity....if this passes how will the outfitters divide the 60% up?

MtGomer

WKR
On the opinion above from mtgomer, it does not change the allocation of tags for residents.
For now. NM’s system started as a handful of tags in a single GMU.
Now, it has evolved so that between landowner tags, outfitter and NR draw tags, around 42% of all elk tags are available to residents.
This bill isn’t the end goal for MOGA, it’s the 1st step. They have made that more than clear more than once.

slick

WKR
When is it slated to go across their tables for a vote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk