Montana Non Resident hunters read!

I got no dog in this race, i hunt CO and NM but... yea i guess im not sure i get the logic for MT to do this? surely outfitters are currently pulling in a haul currently without any changes? All those NR tags go to helping hunting / fishing opportunities in the state dont they? (i sure hope they do). Are the elk herds dwindling in MT and they're trying some different approach to manage numbers? Seems backwards.

You have a dog in this race because tag availability in Montana will impact tag demand in Colorado/New Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For now. NM’s system started as a handful of tags in a single GMU.
Now, it has evolved so that between landowner tags, outfitter and NR draw tags, around 42% of all elk tags are available to residents.
This bill isn’t the end goal for MOGA, it’s the 1st step. They have made that more than clear more than once.
Please stop with the misinformation.

sneaky

"DADDY"
When is it slated to go across their tables for a vote?

It never made it that far. The backlash had him pull the bill to make some amendments to it. He didn't realize the hornet's nest he was kicking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don’t know it as dead. Seemed to me that it is still alive in an amended form.

New Mexico has outfitter set aside tags and in many units NRs that hunt with an outfitter have much better odds than a resident does at drawing the same tag.
I went through over 100 bull hunts. I counted 7 hunts that had better odds in the outfitter draw than the resident draw. I guess that’s “many”? And “much better” is 1 in 4 instead of 1 in 5? But that’s still bs. Residents have the exact same or better odds. See below.

Now, it has evolved so that between landowner tags, outfitter and NR draw tags, around 42% of all elk tags are available to residents.
A resident can’t buy a landowner tag? Please show me the law. A resident can’t apply in the outfitter draw? Please show me the law.
In truth up to 94% of tags would be available to residents.

And for the record I’m not saying the system in NM is good or that the MT bill is any good.

MtGomer

WKR
I went through over 100 bull hunts. I counted 7 hunts that had better odds in the outfitter draw than the resident draw. I guess that’s “many”? And “much better” is 1 in 4 instead of 1 in 5? But that’s still bs. Residents have the exact same or better odds. See below.

A resident can’t buy a landowner tag? Please show me the law. A resident can’t apply in the outfitter draw? Please show me the law.
In truth up to 94% of tags would be available to residents.

And for the record I’m not saying the system in NM is good or that the MT bill is any good.
You are correct that technically a resident could buy a landowner tag. I could have worded that differently. Many residents can’t buy food, much less a landowner tag.
42% of all elk tags are available to residents in the draw is what I should have said.
considering that NM is one of the poorest states in the nation, that 42% are effectively the only tags that are availablefor most New Mexicans. It’s not exactly the land of prosperity. If we are being semantically correct and splitting hairs, ya got me. You know as damn well as I do that LO and outfitter tags being sold to or drawn by residents is an extreme exception.

Here is some antelope and deer odds

48A99DFD-F342-4677-A749-CA9C680026F2.jpeg
866C4D9C-4510-4991-82D5-AF47F78C8B31.jpeg

Last edited:
768d6a77d577dfd2097a5e35251036d3.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well, good luck MT. I'll draw my tag this year and that'll be it for me. They wanna pick winners and losers through legislation instead of the free market, then I'll not support their stupidity.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk