Montana non resident spring bear and turkey hunting suspended

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
COVID-19
Thu Apr 09 12:29:29 MDT 2020

Following the extension of Montana Gov. Steve Bullock’s directive that out of state travelers must quarantine for 14 days, Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks director Martha Williams has suspended nonresident hunting seasons for spring turkey and black bear until at least April 24.

On Tuesday, Gov. Bullock extended the mandatory quarantine directive related to COVID-19 through April 24 for travelers arriving in Montana from another state or country. The quarantine directive for out-of-state travelers applies to public outdoor recreation, grocery shopping and other activities. Those entering Montana from other states carry the risk of spreading COVID-19 to Montana residents. Surrounding states are taking similar measures to protect their own citizens and limit the spread of COVID-19.

“We place a high value on the ability to get outside and hunt, both for our residents and visitors. However, suspending the nonresident turkey and black bear seasons for now will keep everyone safer and help all of us remain consistent with Gov. Bullock’s directives,” Director Williams said.

Spring turkey season, which begins April 11, and spring black bear season, which begins April 15, will still be open to resident hunters; however, travel and social distancing directives need to be followed as hunters make their plans and head into the field.

Nonresidents who wish to return their license will be issued a refund.

For more information related to FWP’s response to COVID-19, please look online at fwp.mt.gov.

Additional information on COVID-19 is also available online, on DES social media, and via phone

• Covid19.mt.gov
  • Twitter @MontanaDES
  • Facebook Facebook.com/MontanaDES
  • Instagram @MontanaDES406

skierhs

WKR
It’s not surprising, especially when I’ve seen people buy tags for Montana when Idaho closed its buying of tags to non residents just so they still had a spring bear tag. Probably a good choice all things considered.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
If they suspend spring seasons for residents it's gonna be a really hard pill to swallow. I really hope FWP does the right thing and doesn't take our hunting away

OP
137buck

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
If they suspend spring seasons for residents it's gonna be a really hard pill to swallow. I really hope FWP does the right thing and doesn't take our hunting away
The governor has said he won't close the seasons for residents already, just the non residents.

I wonder with Wyoming I think also having the same 14 day quarantine if they will follow suit and do the same as Montana. I did get an email they would refund your bear/turkey tag I think but didn’t see it was closed yet?

2ski

WKR
Yeah but the governor has said he would do a lot of things that he hasn't actually done. I'm having a hard time thinking of anyone whose word I trust less than Steve Bullock
I can think of a lot of people I trust less than him. But I'm not getting into that.

If you think about it, it makes sense. If anyone coming into the state is supposed to self quarantine, then what business does anyone have coming here for hunting.

For us residents, what better way to social distance than going out bear hunting? It won't close. I promise you. Will you take my word? :)

There is plenty of room for interpretation on this 14 days self quarentine BS............. You guys stay in the house and live in fear, listen to the puppet public servants.

A ton to worry about out here.

Attachments

• t.JPG
    t.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 29
I can think of a lot of people I trust less than him. But I'm not getting into that.

If you think about it, it makes sense. If anyone coming into the state is supposed to self quarantine, then what business does anyone have coming here for hunting.

For us residents, what better way to social distance than going out bear hunting? It won't close. I promise you. Will you take my word? :)
While I understand I am an exception likely, I have a place in MT, was going to come up, respect the quarantine, and then get after some bears. I’m still going to come up, can self quarantine, and then walk around the same woods, just can’t shoot a bear. I’m just hoping it doesn’t go into mid May.
I understand the order though, just felt like complaining 😂

FLAK

WKR
How would it put anybody in danger of contracting or spreading a virus while wandering around out in the Mtns.? Blows my mind at the stupidity in govt.

skierhs

WKR
How would it put anybody in danger of contracting or spreading a virus while wandering around out in the Mtns.? Blows my mind at the stupidity in govt.
It’s when people have it and bring it to our state. You can have it without knowing and transmit it. It’s not while you’re out in the mountains away from people but going to and from the mountains which is the concern.

skierhs

WKR
UH, I think its already in Mt.,,,,just a guess.
It is but why do we want to increase the amount of the virus in the state? Why do we want to encourage travel and increase the rate of transmission? The state is trying to cut down the transmission rate as much as possible to help keep our medical facilities from being any more overwhelmed than they already are. By closing non resident seasons the state is trying to slow the progression of the corona virus. If we simply didn’t want non residents we would further limit non resident tags. The more I hear non residents complain about not being allowed to come into the state to hunt the happier it makes me we shut down the season thus far because we don’t need people coming into the state that disregard the well being of MY home state.

Last edited: