Montana NR Bonus/Preference Point

This will be my first time purchasing these points and was wondering if I’m able to purchase both and what’s the difference and what other non-residents typically do. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuntNTag

WKR
This will be my first time purchasing these points and was wondering if I’m able to purchase both and what’s the difference and what other non-residents typically do. Thanks.

Montana does a bonus point system for deer, elk, antelope, sheep, moose and mountain goat.

Montana also does a preference point system for their big game combo, elk combo, deer combo licenses.

Here is how that works.

Your bonus points go towards the draw for those specific species if you are going in for a limited entry tag. Each year your points get squared+1 for the current year.

Example, you applied for 5 years, you would have 5x5 plus 1= 26 chances in the draw.

Your preference points go towards you getting the elk, deer or combo tag for the general units in the case you do not draw those limited entry tags. Some 75% of the combo licenses are given out to point holders versus non point holders each year.

I advise someone to get as much as they can. To answer your question, I’d do both and do both annually.

Yes, you can buy both, but if you are not planning to hunt Montana in 2021, do not buy the pref point. Only buy a bonus point as the pref points expire quickly, whereas the bonus points do not expire until you pull a limited entry tag.

Preference points help NR get a Combo tag, which is your license to hunt Elk in the state of Montana. With a combo tag you can hunt any general tag units in the state.

Bonus points are for limited entry units, which you are able to apply for after you have successfully drawn your NR combo tag.

Think of it this way, Bonus points do not get you the license to hunt elk in MT, they only allow you entry into a specific unit. The combo tag is what you need to hunt elk, and Pref points help your chances of getting the combo tag. What you want to do is buy a bonus point every year.....let's say you want to hunt elk in 2022 in MT. Buy a NR Pref point in Sept 2021, and then buy another one with your application in the Spring of 2022, which will give you 2 pref points, and will basically ensure you pull a combo tag.

OP
Elkoholic87
Thank you for the information. When do preference points expire?

Thank you for the information. When do preference points expire?

I bought a NR Pref Point in Sept 2018, Sept 2019, and then one with my application this past spring, and they said I only had 2. I called and spoke with them and they said my 2018 PP had expired. Thats why I said wait until the Sept before you go. The way they write it on their site makes it look like I should have had 3, but that's not the case.

Buy bonus points every year.
Buy NR pref point the year before you go, and 1 with application the year of.

OP
Elkoholic87
Okay. So, as a NR, bonus points will allow me to draw a limited entry tag and the preference points a combo tag?

Okay. So, as a NR, bonus points will allow me to draw a limited entry tag and the preference points a combo tag?

Yes, residents and NR all buy bonus points for LE draws.

Preference points are only for NR to get a combo tag. Residents can buy the general license OTC, so they don't buy Pref points.

NB7

WKR
Thanks for this thread. Was sitting down tonight to go ahead and purchase my pref point for 2021 and was still trying to figure out exactly what I was doing when it came to pref vs bonus, as next year will be my first try in Montana. I appreciate the info provided!!

Erict

WKR
To be clear(er) - accumulated preference points "place one to the head of the line". Everyone with 4 preference points are drawn for combo licenses before everyone with 3, then 2, then 1, then none. Last year, SOME non-residents got drawn for NR deer combo license without a point. EVERY non-resident with 1 or more preference points got drawn for NR deer combo license. So in 2021 it will take at least 1 preference point to be fairly sure of drawing.

Bonus points simply "put your name in the hat" more times. A person with 50 bonus points does not get drawn before a person with 1, but they have 49 more chances to get drawn. Remember that the bonus point deadline is September 30th.

Plenty of good info at their site: Montana NR Combo license info

Last edited:

Riplip

WKR
And to further complicate the answer, only 75% of the NR Combo Tags will go to those with Preference Points, 25% of the tag are reserved for those with no Preference Points. So it has been possible in the past to actually draw with 0 points and not draw with 1 point.

Actual odds from 2019: (2020 have not been released)

BIG GAME COMBO
3 points2 points1 point0 points
100%100%77%55%
ELK COMBO
100%100%75%57%
DEER COMBO
100%100%100%43%

MT's system is complicated and painful. There are some errors in people's explanations as well.

MT has General Tags and Limited Entry Tags

General tags are OTC for residents. Total NR tags are capped by a quota. Most of the state can be hunted on a general tag.

75% of NR general tags go to those with the most Preference Points, 25% given randomly. You are only allowed to buy Preference Points for two years without actually applying, after that they expire. You are able to buy a preference point with your application that counts towards that application so if you buy 1 now and 1 with your application next year you go into the draw with 2 preference points.

Bonus points just put your name in the hat more times if you are applying for limited entry tags. If you are only looking to hunt in a general unit, there is no benefit to purchasing bonus points.

Also, in order to be in consideration for a limited entry tag drawing, you must first draw a general tag. This is nice if you are happy to hunt on a general tag if you fail to draw your limited entry tag or crappy if you only want to hunt on a limited entry tag because they take a nice chunk of change (roughly $300 going off memory) if you return your general tag upon failing to draw a limited entry tag.

Trial153

WKR
MT's system is complicated and painful. There are some errors in people's explanations as well.

MT has General Tags and Limited Entry Tags

General tags are OTC for residents. Total NR tags are capped by a quota. Most of the state can be hunted on a general tag.

75% of NR general tags go to those with the most Preference Points, 25% given randomly. You are only allowed to buy Preference Points for two years without actually applying, after that they expire. You are able to buy a preference point with your application that counts towards that application so if you buy 1 now and 1 with your application next year you go into the draw with 2 preference points.

Bonus points just put your name in the hat more times if you are applying for limited entry tags. If you are only looking to hunt in a general unit, there is no benefit to purchasing bonus points.

Also, in order to be in consideration for a limited entry tag drawing, you must first draw a general tag. This is nice if you are happy to hunt on a general tag if you fail to draw your limited entry tag or crappy if you only want to hunt on a limited entry tag because they take a nice chunk of change (roughly $300 going off memory) if you return your general tag upon failing to draw a limited entry tag.

Good synopsis. You get an 80% refund on the elk or elk deer combo, less some fees ect....yea pretty close to that 300 mark..

It pays to to plan to hunt on the general tag if you dont draw your permit. Otherwise it's a very very expensive point.

TWill_61

FNG
So I’ve been searching threads trying to find an answer to a question on bonus points since I’m new to this. Figure id post it here rather than make a whole new thread.

I have 0 bonus points. I want to hunt elk in Montana (maybe deer too) in 2022. I understand preference points help with general tag and can be used the year you are applying. So in 2022 I can buy a PP and have 1 for general tag draw. Does it work the same way for bonus points? Can I buy 1 bonus point at the time of my application in 2022, and use it to attempt to get into a limited draw unit that year? I know 1 point doesn’t give me great odds in very many units at all. But thought I’d ask. Thanks.

Erict

WKR
Go HERE and read the section on Bonus Points and the section on Nonresident licenses, which has info on Preference Points. Montana made some significant changes to preference points that are not yet updated on their website. Changes include an increase in PP fees ($100 for 2022), the maximum one can carry, preference point expiration rules, hunting with an outfitter rules and deadline dates for applying for preference points. I suggest you call the helpful folks at Montana FWP Licensing division to get it straight from them.