Montana or Wyoming to retire?

WKR
Colorado is having issues for a lot of reasons but not sure how much of that is legal weed. During the course of making a living in the private sector, I moved my family 6 times in 25 years. Moving somewhere for retirement and having it not be what I thought it was is low on my list of concerns. I'll move again.

Quite happy living in a rural county outside Denver at this point. But to live here requires a lot of capital due to real estate prices. If it were me, I'd go to Helena I think. Actually I have another state in mind but not sure my wife would be on board with my new #1. So I'll stay in CO and just travel where I feel like I guess to upland hunt and fish.

OP
B
Yup!! I hate the heat! and My mom whos coming with us was born in MI and grew up in CO my wife well shes going to have to suck it up shes ready to leave too but to be on he safe side will def take her out there in Jan or Feb

You might want to look at Lewistown or Dillion. Both have good bird hunting and are close to big game. Lewistown is frequently in the Outdoor Life top 100 places for sportsman to live. I checked out everything west of Glendive in Montana for almost a decade before I retired here in February. Lewiston Idaho was also a place we looked at as it ranked in OL magazine as well, but we ended up in the Bitterroot instead.

OP
B
My buddy is in teh bitterroot and yes Lewistown is on the list as well. Mama and I will be flying and driving a bit this early spring. Lewistown has also caugth my eye researching schools now for my boy

bsnedeker

WKR
You might want to look at Lewistown or Dillion. Both have good bird hunting and are close to big game. Lewistown is frequently in the Outdoor Life top 100 places for sportsman to live. I checked out everything west of Glendive in Montana for almost a decade before I retired here in February. Lewiston Idaho was also a place we looked at as it ranked in OL magazine as well, but we ended up in the Bitterroot instead.
Oh, that is SUCH a good point! Lewistown is a great place to be! I'm up in NW MT because that is where the rest of my family is located but if I had a choice I would go Lewistown. The biggest benefit is it is basically smack-dab in the middle of the state so you can get to any other part of the state in 4-5 hours at most.