Montana Outfitter recommendations

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for an elk outfitter in Montana. I would prefer to bow hunt during the rut and on private land. I hunt in CO in a OTC unit with a group of guys every year during the first week of archery but would love to go to a different state and hunt mid to late Sept when the bulls are fired up once in my life. I am not familiar with all the western states but it seems overwhelming trying to figure out the process of getting a tag in one state vs another. I am 53 and do not have 10 years to build preference points as I would like to do this hunt in either 2021 or 2022. I have read that Montana has a draw but it is almost 100% to get a tag in a regular unit. New Mexico interests me but it is really confusing on how to go about getting a tag or real expensive to buy a landowner tag. I would like a chance at a nice bull 320 or better. This will most likely be a once in a lifetime dream hunt for me so my budget for the hunt will be around $7500 for the outfitter. I would not limit this to solely Montana as it could be another state where getting a tag fairly easy would be possible. It can't be in CO as I am going there earlier in the year. Can anyone share the names of some of the outfitters you have used in the past and you would highly recommend? Thanks!!

MajorAR

Lil-Rokslider
I use "Harris Hunts" Outfitters in Montana. Destry Harris is a great guy and runs a tight ship. Def worth a look for you. ~$6500-ish, so should meet your criteria.

OP
G

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I use "Harris Hunts" Outfitters in Montana. Destry Harris is a great guy and runs a tight ship. Def worth a look for you. ~$6500-ish, so should meet your criteria.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely check them out!

I don't think you can count on Montana being 100% draw for NR. Might need to check that out 1st...

You cant. As of right now, if you bought a preference point in the summer and you buy another with your application the following year it has been 100%. I wouldn't doubt if that changes soon but I've had a general tag for 6 years in a row now as a NR.

Jaker_cc

WKR
Montana Trophy Outfitters is a great outfit that I’ve used 3 times now. They hunt hard and get it done on private land in a general unit. You will be in elk every day and will see some great bulls. I’ve hunted with Forrest and Will, I’ll be back for sure.