Montana Outfitters

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
Greetings all,

Soliciting advice and recommendations for elk outfitters in MT for the 2020 season (rifle). My father-in-law just started his hunting lifestyle this year, whitetail hunting with me in NC. Now wants to try an outfitted elk hunt in MT next year. He's in his 60s, not unfit ---- but certainly can be hiking 10mi a day up the mountains. Please PM any recommendations. Budget ~$5k.

KHNC

WKR
Stay out of NW montana area. That is the best advice i can give you. I dont have a particular outfitter to recommend. But , you should eliminate the ones in Thompson Falls , trout creek and the NW area in general for elk.

It also depends what you are looking for. Your $ 5K price range is right for a good outfitted hunt.
That should put you into a nice lodge with good food and a good reputation if you do your homework and check references. I have had good experiences with 2 outfitters in the SW corner of Montana.

-James Whitescarver - www.mtriversandridges.com - young guy in business . I went to him for a change and was happy. Has had his own operation for 7 + years. Runs a small group every week. Very hard worker. Good lodge. You have to be able to hike as he likes to get up and away from other hunters.
-Russ Kipp - MHCT.com - good public land hunting- I used him for 20 + years. He is in the process of transferring his business to a new owner so not sure when that will happen or changes but I have had great success there in past years. His food, guides and lodge are 5 star. I just don't know what future holds here.

I personally like younger guys that will really work hard to earn your repeat business.
I don't like big operations where the outfitter doesn't actually guide or hunt.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Stay out of NW montana area. That is the best advice i can give you. I dont have a particular outfitter to recommend. But , you should eliminate the ones in Thompson Falls , trout creek and the NW area in general for elk.

This. I know the people and area well. Locals even go elsewhere in MT for better opportunities.

bsnedeker

WKR
This. I know the people and area well. Locals even go elsewhere in MT for better opportunities.

I live in NW Montana...I didn't spend a single day hunting in NW Montana! There are elk here for sure, but they are tough to find and in some rough country. Central and SW Montana are your best bets.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My brother hunted nearly 40 days, bow and rifle, in his honey holes in western Mineral and Sanders counties and couldn’t connect on an elk. He’s been pretty successful for the last 30+ years but says it’s getting harder every year.

KHNC discussed his experience with an outfitter in the area in a post a while back.

rodell

FNG
If you are interested in a ride in tent camp, Sun Canyon Lodge does a nice job. They hunt the southern end of the Bob Marshall Wilderness. I've been going there for years and am quite satisfied.

bcpody

FNG
I've used Northwest Montana Outfitters for a bow hunt. The new folks taking over are renaming it to Waypoint Outfitters. Great family that owns it. Owner has a true passion for being out in the backcountry. Hunting can be hard and the terrain is some tough stuff if you're not used to it.

We got into elk several days.