Montana paper maps

Trees91

WKR
What do you guys use for paper maps while hunting. Looking between Libby and Kalispell. Wanted National Geographic maps but don’t believe they have them for that area. Is there an atlas that would show forest service roads and trails?? Let me know, thanks.

skierhs

WKR
If your on forest service land I have found their maps to be of good quality. They have their own published ones that work well.

skierhs

WKR
Your able to buy them at the regional office, some rei locations locally, or order them online.

skierhs

WKR
Let me know if you have any issues with it, I’m local to the region and can help you out if need be.

skierhs

WKR
Nice! Be prepared for griz. There was amazing black bear hunting up there till the griz came and killed a ton of them. The hunting is still good but be prepared for griz is all.

I spend quite a bit of time in that country. For roads I have found that the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) are valuable and they are free. For trails I rely heavily on OnX though. I have yet to find a trail map that I believe is satisfactory. For targeting bears I would suggest using decommissioned logging roads. With a mountain bike you are able to cover a lot of country that way. Send me a PM if you are looking for any additional info.

FacePlant

FNG
I’ve used mytopo.com out of Billings. You can make a custom map of any area, pick your overlays, scale, any features, then have it printed on a waterproof paper as large or small as you want. Awesome service and fast shipping.