Montana points?

dtrkyman

WKR
See the deadline is today, if I remember correctly I purchase a preference point now(did not apply this year for a tag) and do not purchase a bonus point, correct?

I see they even list 2 different bonus points now.

krohboy

WKR
Depends what you are trying to do. Bonus Points are for draw areas while preference point is for the general tag. I myself bought both.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
I hunted there a few years ago, took three points, but no idea if they were bonus or preference? Then you had to apply and refuse the general if you didn't get the draw, so I guess those are bonus points then.

You would pay up front then they would refund 80% or something like that.

Erict

WKR
You don't say what you are trying to accomplish - what species are you trying to hunt and where and is it archery or rifle seasons? Kinda last minute to be asking your questions with the deadline in just a few hours.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
Elk archery, yeah it is last minute due to things in life more important than an elk tag, but thanks for the response!

Erict

WKR
Preference Point for Nonresident Combination Licenses

The Montana State Legislature established a preference point system to distribute "Class B-10" nonresident big game and elk combination licenses and "Class B-11" nonresident deer combination licenses. In a preference point system, licenses are awarded to those applicants who hold the greatest number of preference points.

Purchasing Preference Points
Preference points for a nonresident big game, elk or deer combination license may be purchased for a nonrefundable fee of $50. Preference points can be purchased:
  • at the time of application for the nonresident combination license; or
  • between July 1 and September 30 for individuals who did not apply for a nonresident combination license.
  • You can only purchase without applying for the combination license for 2 consecutive years. If you skip 3 years of applying for the combination license, all preference points are zeroed.
Applicants may purchase only one preference point per license year. Preference points purchased at the time of application are awarded prior to the drawing.

Parties
Up to 5 applicants may apply as a party. FWP shall use an average of the number of preference points accumulated by those applicants to determine the party's preference points. FWP shall consider any fraction that result from the calculation of an average when determining that priority.

Bonus Points for Deer and Elk Permits

Bonus Points can increase your chances to draw a buck mule deer or bull elk permit.
  • Bonus points essentially offer you additional drawing chances and are used for first choice drawings only.
  • Existing bonus points will be mathematically "squared" prior to the drawing. That means if you already have 3 "base" bonus points those will be "squared" and you'll then have 9 bonus points going into the drawing.
  • If you're unsuccessful, you'll be awarded an additional base bonus point for next year's drawing.
  • If you wish to participate in the Bonus Point program for deer/elk permits, make sure to check "YES" on the Bonus Point questions and include $20 (nonresident) or $2 (resident) Bonus Point fee per permit type.
  • All "base" bonus points accumulate over time until you obtain a license/permit.
  • Learn more about Montana's Bonus Point System

Erict

WKR
THIS LINK will take you to the pdf for the Elk regulations. Go to page 44 for general info, then page 46 and on to find the Hunt District (HD) you plan on hunting. Remember - bonus points can only be applied to your first HD choice when you make your application.