Montana Prarie Dogs

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I live in idaho and have a blast shooting ground squirrels around here as well as an annual trip to Burns, OR but I'd like to get over to MT and get after some prairie dogs. Is it common to find them on public land in western MT or would I have to knock on some doors in order to find some good towns? (I realize that they are buried under snow right now, looking forward to spring.)

Redarrow

FNG
I’m not aware of any prairie dogs farther west than billings. Also, prairie dogs don’t hibernate. We do have ground squirrels in western MT but they will be hibernating till april.

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed a bunch in the Great Falls area, but they all seemed to be private land. Is there prairie dogs on public land in the Billings area?

You should buy the prairie dogs layer on Onx, assuming they still have it. I used to shoot pdogs in the middle of the hot days on bird hunting trips to Montana. Central part of the state mostly.

BigWoods

WKR
I used to go after practice dogs in Western ND. Dog towns show up well on satellite imagery if you n ow what you're looking for. We found that most farmers in that area at least we're very open to have you take out some of the little critters.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I used to go after practice dogs in Western ND. Dog towns show up well on satellite imagery if you n ow what you're looking for. We found that most farmers in that area at least we're very open to have you take out some of the little critters.

No more dogs around here. They all vanished last fall. Wind must have blown them to SD.