Montana Preference point question?

Rjk300

FNG
That all sounds correct. The only thing I’m not 100% sure on and maybe someone here can clarify is a couple of guys in my group said when they called MFWP they’re understanding is you can only buy a pp by its self one year and the next year you have to put in for a tag to by a pp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Roughwater
That all sounds correct. The only thing I’m not 100% sure on and maybe someone here can clarify is a couple of guys in my group said when they called MFWP they’re understanding is you can only buy a pp by its self one year and the next year you have to put in for a tag to by a pp.

I hadn't looked at it that way but I imagine that could be correct. So what year would you prefer to draw maybe is the question? If this year your odds are not good as I'm sure you know. I could see where a person might only choose to purchase a preference point the first year. It would certainly save some money. I do know preference point purchase in Montana open I think in June or July. So if you went that route if your goal to hunt is 25 you should most likely draw. I probably shouldn't speculate though as I really don't know all the rules around purchasing preference points but someone on here probably does.

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I think I'm dumb enough to dumb it down.

Enter the draw this year and don't wait till the last day. If you just plan to hunt Elk purchase the Elk Combo, if Elk and deer purchase the Big Game Combo. If hunting Archery select Bow and arrow. Purchase the preference point for 100 dollars. Don't select Elk permit.

Either combo has all the tags you need and probably some you won't need so don't select other anything else. There is a 90 plus chance that you won't draw Montana this year but you will go into next year with a point. Do the exact same thing next year and again buy a preference point. This gives you 2 points for 2025. You probably will stand 80% chance of drawing in 2025. However, I have heard of a few not drawing with 2 points. So if you don't draw you should have a 100% chance to draw in 2026. If you get a general tag you can hunt any general season unit. However be aware each unit has it's own specific regulations so make sure you know what they are. You are not limited to any one unit nor to any one season, meaning you can hunt both archery and Rifle on the same tag but only one elk is allowed. Again don't select the Elk Permit as that is a separate hunt and don't buy any bonus points as they won't help you for the General season hunt they only help for the permit hunt.

Im leaning more towards 2026 for the hunt. So I buy a pp this year. Next year I can buy another pp without having to apply for the draw correct? Or am i required to apply in 2025? if I have to apply for the draw in 2025 and for some reason do draw a tag, then what? can I take a pp instead or am I stuck with the tag?

Riplip

WKR
Once you buy a preference point you will have to apply the following year or you will lose the point.
If you would like to hunt in 2026, you could buy a point in 2025 and purchase one at time of application in 2026 where you would then go into the draw with two points. Last year odds of drawing a big game/elk combo with two points was approximately 83%. This will most likely change over the next few years.

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
I think I'm dumb enough to dumb it down.

Enter the draw this year and don't wait till the last day. If you just plan to hunt Elk purchase the Elk Combo, if Elk and deer purchase the Big Game Combo. If hunting Archery select Bow and arrow. Purchase the preference point for 100 dollars. Don't select Elk permit.

Either combo has all the tags you need and probably some you won't need so don't select other anything else. There is a 90 plus chance that you won't draw Montana this year but you will go into next year with a point. Do the exact same thing next year and again buy a preference point. This gives you 2 points for 2025. You probably will stand 80% chance of drawing in 2025. However, I have heard of a few not drawing with 2 points. So if you don't draw you should have a 100% chance to draw in 2026. If you get a general tag you can hunt any general season unit. However be aware each unit has it's own specific regulations so make sure you know what they are. You are not limited to any one unit nor to any one season, meaning you can hunt both archery and Rifle on the same tag but only one elk is allowed. Again don't select the Elk Permit as that is a separate hunt and don't buy any bonus points as they won't help you for the General season hunt they only help for the permit hunt.
Well said ^^^

And yeah side note.. "combo" just means you get ur fishing license with that tag too. (I myself was confused with what that meant when I first saw it if anyone else can relate)

OP
Roughwater
Well said ^^^

And yeah side note.. "combo" just means you get ur fishing license with that tag too. (I myself was confused with what that meant when I first saw it if anyone else can relate)
Don't forget the game bird tag too that comes with the license. Me and my hunting buddy didn't get a Elk but we (he) shot a grouse which we cooked up. I guess you could call it a consolation prize.