Montana preference points expiration

mans9110

FNG
Hi all,
Looking for some clarification around expiry of Montana preference points.
In 2020 I forfeited my preference points not realizing that you forfeited them when I opted to return the general tag when I didn’t draw a limited tag. My mistake for not realizing you lost your preference points when you did that.
Want to make sure I don’t make a similar mistake.
I bought a point in 2021 but didn’t apply.
Can I buy another point in 2022 or do I have to apply this year so that I don’t lose the point I purchased last year?
I have enough points to draw Wyoming this year and was planning to hunt Montana in 2023, but want to make sure that I can go into 2023 Montana with 2 points and apply with 3 (by buying a point when I apply)
Thanks for help in advance

huck

Lil-Rokslider
I have enough points I should get drawn ,but I was just gonna buy a point this year because of work and shoot for next year . So what your sayin is news to me . But if somebody could set us both straight I would sure appreciate it . Thanks .

“You can only purchase without applying for the combination license for 2 consecutive years.
If you skip 3 years of applying for the combination license, all preference points are zeroed.”

Straight from regulations

Riplip

WKR
I would confirm directly with MT FFWP.

HB 632 modified this requirement so that a NR point holder has to apply in consecutive years or they will lose their points. I believe this goes into effect March 2022, so I am not sure how it effects current point holders. The previous version (which is printed in last years regs, allowed for the application of two out of three years in essence. There are a few other threads that discuss this.

“You can only purchase without applying for the combination license for 2 consecutive years.
If you skip 3 years of applying for the combination license, all preference points are zeroed.”

Straight from regulations
Aren't the regs changing for 2022? I was under the impression you can now only skip 1 year. So now you lose your points if you skip 2 years. At least that's what I understood when I spoke with a FWP rep in Nov.

Aren't the regs changing for 2022? I was under the impression you can now only skip 1 year. So now you lose your points if you skip 2 years. At least that's what I understood when I spoke with a FWP rep in Nov.
I’m not sure, 22 regs aren’t out yet and not something I’ve been tracking, you could be right. Regs will be out soon so should have an answer.

Erict

WKR
You should read it yourself - Montana HB 637 - preference point section becomes effective March 1, 2022, not the versions quoted above.

Beginning in 2022, PP are $100 (they were $50).
Beginning in 2022, the max number of PP allowed is 3.
Beginning in 2022, you lose your PP if you fail to apply in consecutive years. To me, that means that if you skip a year, you have failed to apply in consecutive years and you lose your PP. Another nice money maker for MT.

You have a 2021 PP. If you only buy a PP in 2022 (new dates - July 1 - December 31), you would think you have 2 PP going in to 2023. HOWEVER, you would have failed to apply for a license in consecutive years (2021, 2022). Is MT going to "look back" prior to 2022 or begin at 2022? It is far from clear to me and a call to MT FWP Licensing is probably your best bet. They have always been very helpful when I called them - good luck!

Last edited:

Traveler

WKR
Montana has some of the more complicated hunting and draw rules but they are 100% knowable.

I really like Montana’s rules on applying to hunt, not just buy a point, every so many years or lose points. If Montana maintains this and Colorado drops points if hunting on an A tag….things could return to sustainable and common sense for a large portion of western elk tags.

fatlander

WKR
I wonder if the points purchased before 2022 will be grandfathered into the old law that allows for up to 3 years before applying for a tag?

If you call FWP you’ll probably get two different answers.

Hell, every so often, MT’s system will glitch and let you buy an extra preference point in the same year you bought one at the time of application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WI75

FNG
I sent an email to FWP asking for confirmation.
To whom it may concern,

I was trying to confirm how many years you can purchase just a preference point without applying for a general tag. I bought a point last year, do I have to apply this year to keep my point or can I wait until next year.

Their response:
Once you have purchased a preference point, you must apply for the lottery the following year in order to avoid losing that point. You must apply consecutive years thereafter to begin accumulating them, assuming you don't draw in the lottery. If you do end up being successful in the drawing, you will also lose your preference point accumulation and start over from zero.

Deucebump

WKR
I assume this applies to all points per animal? As in same for Elk, Deer, Antelope..

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
This sure make it hard to plan anything. Can’t plan on drawing every year. Can’t build points to draw in the year you want to go. Don’t like it.