Montana public land questions

Hi all. I'm planning a solo (likely) DIY non-resident (I'm Canadian) hunt for mule deer in late November 2016 (will have 10 to 12 days to hunt).

What I'm looking to get out of the experience:

experience Western hunting for the first time (I'm extremely experienced in backpacking, mountaineering, etc. in the West - but my job schedule has never allowed me to hunt before)

hunt a remote "wilderness" (official or otherwise) area with lots of public land and relatively little hunting pressure (willing to hike/backpack in to achieve this) For some perspective, I did a 120 km 10 day backpacking route (no formal trail) in the Yukon this summer so working hard is something I will embrace.

have a reasonable chance at a mature mule deer. Score is immaterial, just a buck that is a respectable mature animal.

I'll be driving a Nissan Xterra (4 x 4 with fairly aggressive tires/good ground clearance) so I will be able to access most places.

Some of the areas I have been researching:

Custer National Forest/Ashland
CMR/Fort Peck

I could also be talked into focusing on a big whitetail buck - I hear the western part of the state (Kalispell) is best for that. As I will be solo, probably best not to tackle an elk!

Any and all feedback welcome on this thread or by personal message.

If you're Canadian, why don't you hunt Canada? :rolleyes:

The buck pics I see from north of the border are almost enough to make me seek Canadian citizenship. I really can't fathom why you would mess around with Montana when you've got that stuff at your fingertips.

That said, I think you'll be very disappointed in both areas you mentioned if you are seeking a "wilderness" hunt. Normally, I'd recommend the Bob Marshall for what you describe; however, you risk severe weather or being snowed out with a late November hunt. I would either move your hunt dates earlier and try the Bob or stick with the Breaks/Custer and expect to hear ATV motors ripping in the distance.

Seriously though, you're Canadian. Get on those big 'ol maple leaf bucks!

OP
B
I live in Ontario (eastern province just north of Michigan, New York, etc.) If I want to hunt Alberta or British Columbia I legally need to hire an outfitter (much prefer a DIY experience) or hunt with someone who lives there under strict guidelines (no one I know is interested - trust me, I've tried!). The western Canadian provinces are very restrictive with their non-resident hunting - whether you are Canadian or not. Ironic that it is MUCH easier for me to travel to the western U.S.

Thanks for the feedback - I appreciate your honesty.

Last edited:

AZ Vince

WKR
I live in Ontario (eastern province just north of Michigan, New York, etc.) If I want to hunt Alberta or British Columbia I legally need to hire an outfitter - I would much rather a DIY experience. The western Canadian provinces are very restrictive with their non-resident hunting - whether you are Canadian or not. Ironic that it is MUCH easier for me to travel to the western U.S.

Thanks for the feedback - I appreciate your honesty.
While absolutely beautiful Canada's provinces have some laws detrimental to the DIY hunter.

That's really unfortunate.

The roads on the CMR can get pretty sloppy with any moisture. For late November you would actually want it cold enough to keep things frozen. Maybe plan your drive in and out early in the morning before sunrise if that's an issue. I don't think backpacking in would be necessary, at least with the area I'm familiar with (bird hunted several days out of Zortman, in the breaks east of Hwy 191). Double check the schedule/season on the river ferry crossings depending on where you go. I would guess north of Fort Peck to be more remote than the south side. Zortman has a little grocery store, but not many specialty products. I think I paid over $4/dozen eggs years ago. I would bring wood or pick some up before you drive in, getting it in the breaks will be tough.

OP
B
I shifted gears and did an extended whitetail deer hunt in the Adirondacks instead. My wife and I both had extended time away from work and one of our shared "dream destinations" was Nepal (specifically Mount Everest Base Camp). To make that work from a financial perspective I had to shift gears on my hunting trip ambitions - no problem as we ended up having a great trip to Nepal.

So unfortunately can't help you on that question ...

Dang. Well this friend has hunted mule deer twice each last two years. My first western hunt.

I have hunted Ontario six times for deer, both Rainy Lake with a guide and unguided near Espanola. I love hunting the rocky Canadian shield terrain. It is challenging to still hunt and quite rugged.

BTW I took a 2 day side trip with a colleague from Delhi to Kathmandu, Nepal last April. Cool city. I bought a bunch of wool goods there for cheap. Great gifts. Hope you enjoyed it!

jmacball

FNG
Custer NF/Ashland definitely isn't a wilderness hunt and has a pile of hunters from MT, ND, WY and MN fyi. Not trying to scare you off, just wouldn't want someone to be surprised at how many people you see chasing mulies in an area.

Well neither of our groups got drawn 😕😕 so we're looking elsewhere. Probably Wyomibg their app period goes thru June 1 I think.

They mentioned on weekend, hearing a few gunshots but never bumped into a deer hunter in the field, but an elk hunter once.

I actually wanted to launch my boat there and access more remote country from the river or impoundment.

Anyway now its a focus shift to learn a brand new state.