Montana region 7 DIY public land [first thread]

Got here on the 12th, temps were around 25 to 30 degrees. Deer were moving around during the day. 13th the temperature rised a bit but still daytime movement. 14th warm weather moved in, daytime activity slowed considerably. First light was the best action, evenings were better then mid day but not as good as first light. I found a herd of mule deer with 2 bucks in it and about 10 does. Chased that herd for 2 days with no shot opportunities. It was almost unbelievable how skittish this herd was. If they saw me within 1000 yards they were moving away from me. Finally I thought I had them figured out, early morning stalk was planned. I got settled in right before sun rise, but they were already in the field that I thought was there mid day hangout. I had nothing to loose since they knew I was there. I bellied crawled about 500 yards while one of the bucks watched my every move, he never took a step. I couldn't find my range finder so I had to guess the distance, I figured 300. Well I was right, it must have been darn close to 300/350. 270. Win with eld_x dropped him in his tracks. But i didn't find him at first, I gave up looking and figured I shot over his back. I went back to the herd and watched them disappear into private ground for a hour or 2. I sat there thinking about the shot and decided I'd go back and look again. Sure enough there he was laying in the tall grass about 50 yards from where I started looking. Long post and not good punctuation/run on sentences/paragraphs I know. But here he is

Attachments

• 20191117_122927.jpg
    20191117_122927.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 20191117_122439.jpg
    20191117_122439.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 248

bsfl

FNG
What’s your opinion on Region 7 for a hunt? Deciding between Montana and CO for me and my Dad next year. I would appreciate any opinion you could provide on the hunting. Thanks and nice buck! Getting after any stripers yet?

OP
N
Bsfl, bass are still hanging out off the nj surf. Big bass are in Maryland but plenty of 24" to 36" bass around.
For region 7 I'm not sure I'd go there again for a few reasons. I'd like to try some higher elevation/ more trees next time. The hunter numbers are true, which is why I think the deer are so spooky on public land. Last year with a outfitter we could get real close to the mulies before they would spook. That was primo managed private ground tho. If I can drive across the country, DIY on public land you can too. So it's your call but if I was u I would pick the terrain you want to hunt. It's fairly flat in region 7 with next to no trees.
Good luck to ya man.

bsfl

FNG
Thanks for the response. I would like to get in the mountains too but the flatland is much more approachable in a rental truck and for my Dad. Did the block management areas seem to get as much attention?

OP
N
The bma's get pressured but probably not as much as state land. Bma's can get you to some landlocked blm/state land which is nice. That's how I got my buck.