Montana region 7 question

Deano0686

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m planning my first ever pronghorn hunt in 2022 to Wyoming. With that being said I’ll have 2 bonus points for antelope in Montana goin into 2022. When I was in 705 deer hunting last year I saw a ton of antelope but not a single buck. I’m assuming they may have shed already in November? Anyway I was wanting some input if it would be worth it to put in for the draw and try to shoot over to Montana after Wyoming. Could it be done in a day or two?

Mt Al

WKR
They could have lost their horns by that time, not uncommon to see herds in late november with nothing that looks like a buck.

As for putting in and driving across to Montana, only you can decide given the amount of time on your hands and your confidence in getting a buck in Wyoming within that time. You could be done in an hour in Montana, or find zero bucks in three days (ask me how I know!). If it were me and I had a full seven days, I'd do it.

No matter what, you're going to have a blast hunting antelope. Good luck!

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
You should be able to tell what is a buck year round. Even when their horns are shucked off you can see the horn core (the bone that the horns grow off of). You can also tell by their dark throat patch.

Not sure why you weren’t seeing bucks but I’m guessing you were probably just in an area that gets hunted hard. They get picked over pretty good in region 7. There’s lots of tags and a high success rate. In my experience there’s no shortage of real young bucks and there’s better units to apply for IMO. That being said, proximity to WY is a plus if you are wanting to do both hunts

j_volt

WKR
I hunted region 7 for deer from 11/7-11/10 last year. I saw quite a few bucks with one horn at that time. I was surprised at the buck to doe ratio (something like 30:1).

OP
Deano0686

Deano0686

Lil-Rokslider
Same time I was there. Never did see a horned antelope tho. I bet I saw 150 non horned

hobbes

WKR
I'd say it was a combination of both, they'd dropped their horns and by November a lot of bucks are dead. If there was a pile of does, there are bucks somewhere. In addition, it's no guarantee you'll draw the license. If I had two full days or more to hunt, I'd apply.