Montana Region 7

GAPointer

FNG
All of the information I have been reading about southeast MT for mule deer is that its overpopulated with hunters and the deer numbers are low due to a tough winter this past year. It may be the way I am reading into it, but it all seems doom and gloom.

This will be my first western hunt and I am trying to keep a positive attitude about it all but I am starting to wonder if its even worth it to make the trip from GA! I have been wanting to do this for 2 years now and I know the area and tag that I have (General Deer combo tag) aren't the best for quality of bucks, I am hoping I will still have some positive encounters!

I have a couple of areas picked out in Region 7 but am I wasting my time this year?

Not exactly sure what kind of responses I am hoping to get, haha....maybe I am just looking for some reassurance that I can still have a good time and see some deer.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on what your looking for. If you’d be happy seeing and shooting a 20 inch 4 point (140ish) come and hunt. If your only looking for an older buck (160+), pretty slim pickings on public. This will probably not change until FWP stops the general season going into late Nov., which ain’t going to happen anytime soon. Make sure you have some type of gps with public and private boundaries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

GAPointer

FNG
I would be ecstatic to see a 20inch 4 point. For a guy from GA, my expectations are very low and I am just wanting to get my feet wet. Shooting a mule deer buck would put me on cloud 9 haha

vanish

WKR
Most mule deer will probably look like giants to someone accustomed to Georgia deer. :) I've been here almost a decade and they still do.

Redside

Lil-Rokslider
I would go, R7 is a very large area, but also your not really stuck to just hunting that district, you can hunt lots of units, just check the regs. They all have deer.

If your worried about competition look into the block management program and look for a BMA you can reserve (type 2). You'll likely have a section of that BMA to yourself for that day or to a few other hunters. Call the Miles City MT FWP office they can help you out.

Gumbo

WKR
Don't sweat it. You will see plenty of deer (even with lower deer numbers) and will have a great time. R7 mule deer is an incredibly fun hunt.

cgasner1

WKR
State only gave out like 11 thousand doe tags this year so I’m sure our numbers will be even lower next year in 7 and the hunt runs till thanksgiving because fwp beloved everyone needs a opportunity instead of making people hunt they just extend the season for all the road hunters in that region

Titan_Bow

WKR
I did this hunt a few years, and decided to do a doe tag to just learn the area and not have the weight of an expensive buck tag looming. I went into a remote area and backpacked in a few miles. It was beautiful country, and I ended up shooting a big fat doe. I would definitely go, you will have a great time and you'll see some deer. I didnt see a ton of deer where I had packed back into, but I saw at least a couple deer every day. I want to do again next year, and utilize a boat and access from the river.

S.Clancy

WKR
Hunted in Region 7 for years. Just hunt hard, you'll see piles of deer, and have a shot at a decent 4 point. There is also tons of BMA's in R7, so don't discount that.

HookUp

WKR
My dad and I both shot 140's 4 points on a BMA on our first evening in 2016. Went back last year and that BMA had fewer deer with less quality. I got tired of dealing with farmers (not my style) pulled up OnX and headed out to a good looking BLM parcel while my dad and brother slept in on day 3. I park, walk up on the closest nob and wait for sun light. As soon as light broke I was greeted by a herd of 20 antelope. I glass around thinking there has to be deer here. As I grid to my right I spot a 4 point with 5 does at 300 yards. He is perfect for me, taped right at 160. My dad and brother were shocked when I showed up at the hotel with a big fat smile. I'm skipping this year but heading back for 2019. Now the goal is 170 (grin)!

There is a pile of deer in Montana, lots of hunters and lots of places to hunt them. It's a great hunt that is fairly easy if the weather plays nice. I really enjoy watching the bucks chase the does, makes stalking a helluva lot easier!

Last edited:
It’s only getting more crowded and less animals. Why would you put it off until later?

I’m on my way out west right now. I’ve gone every year since I moved back to ga from AK except last year when I had shoulder surgery Insplit the drive up this year with a retriever field trial in Missouri. There’s nothing to worry about. Just go.

jjgaw

Lil-Rokslider
Ill be around baker this year as well, first week of November. Good luck to you!

I have read where a couple people have said there was a winter kill in this area. Which confuses me because I spoke to a region 7 biologist around the baker/ekalaka area several times this year. She said they came out of the winter with very strong numbers, above their projection actually. I can only hope that is the truth.

choovhntr

WKR
Definitely go. My buddy and I went last year and it was a fun hunt. We saw a ton of deer but were being a little picky. We saw a ton of hunters too, but 95% of them were just hunting off the road trying to catch bucks traveling to or from the private farm lands around the river bottoms. We both shot decent bucks for the area and passed up on a bunch. If your not too picky,120-140” you have a good chances at being successful. Great advise above about getting onx or something similar to find access points to public ground that aren’t as heavily used. I would also suggest using the first day or two scouting your potential areas vs throwing all your eggs in one basket. Pick a few different spots of different style terrain and go check each one. I found certain types of cover/terrain held higher concentrations of deer than others. Also, if your gonna park your vehicle and hike in, park in a spot where you can easily get out if any rain comes in. Even if it means hiking farther. The ground turns slicker than snot in no time flat and no amount of chains will help. Luckily it dries out almost as fast. Have a backup plan at the truck in case you get stuck and have to spend the night.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I was born and raised in Tennessee. You better be making the trip. It'll be more fun than you possibly imagine, especially compared to hunting in GA. I've spent over 3 weeks in Montana so far this season, but I favor the mountains over the open space out east, but I covered the state for 3 years for work. I've seen a ton of deer out east on the hoof, and on trailers during the season lol. Killing a deer won't make the trip a success, seeing some different country will make it a success. A deer will just be a bonus

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
G

GAPointer

FNG
First off, I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond and provide advice...I am extremely grateful for the help. Looks like we are headed out Oct 20th now and will be out there for a week. Got everything together and I am super excited to spend out a week out there in some cool country!

Weather looks good, if not a tad warmer than I would have liked but that's ok.

Not going to lie....seeing all of the public land in that corner of the state makes it extremely overwhelming to decide where to start!

Well shoot, I have a deer tag that was going to go unused. This thread inspired me to make the 12 hour drive from Kansas for a long weekend. Take off work Thursday afternoon, drive all night, hunt Friday, Saturday, and Sunday AM, be home in time to be completely exhausted for work on Monday. If anyone sees a white Tacoma with Kansas plates feel free stop and have a cup of coffee or a tamale.