Montana resident looking to use my points

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Southwest Montana and have 11 resident elk points. I am willing to travel. I bow and rifle hunt, but would prefer to use points on a rifle hunt. I'm 39 years old and can get around pretty well, but I am not getting any younger. I have access to an ATV, have a hot tent, and am not afraid of packing the elk out on my back. Let me know where you think I should put in.

Forest

WKR
Remember they are just bonus points, sure your odds are better but there is no guarantee no matter how many you have

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
Remember they are just bonus points, sure your odds are better but there is no guarantee no matter how many you have

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
I understand that and am very familiar with how the bonus points work in Montana. I'm just looking to clear the slate.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
I think the general consensus (guessing most residents would agree) is the elkhorns, a unit in the breaks, or the bearpaws are some of the best trophy units in the state. Coming from the SW I would suggest the elkhorns as they are significantly closer to you for more scouting/hunting trips. The bearpaws are probably the best unit for size but the access is tricky and it is the furthest from you. I've seen some big bulls hunting in the Sweet Grass Hills before too and your odds of drawing would be significantly higher but access can be a pain in there too.

Redarrow

FNG
Are u serious? 217 is WAY overrated. I live in 217 and apply in other areas. Theres definitely monsters in 217 but there all on private 95% of the time. Plus there is around 200 tags given out and in my experience 217 gets as much or more pressure as the general areas around it. I’ve had the tag and helped others who had it but I won’t apply there anymore, at least till the number of tags goes down.

netman

WKR
In one of the fly shops in Dillon there is a monster elk on the wall. The lady who owns the shop said her husband killed the bull in the Bearpaws. I would love to hunt there!

Selway

FNG
Are u serious? 217 is WAY overrated. I live in 217 and apply in other areas. Theres definitely monsters in 217 but there all on private 95% of the time. Plus there is around 200 tags given out and in my experience 217 gets as much or more pressure as the general areas around it. I’ve had the tag and helped others who had it but I won’t apply there anymore, at least till the number of tags goes down.

Point being, 10 points as a resident in Montana doesn't get you much of anywhere. Most the tags that have good odds with ten points, aren't any better than a general unit.

I think the general consensus (guessing most residents would agree) is the elkhorns, a unit in the breaks, or the bearpaws are some of the best trophy units in the state. Coming from the SW I would suggest the elkhorns as they are significantly closer to you for more scouting/hunting trips. The bearpaws are probably the best unit for size but the access is tricky and it is the furthest from you. I've seen some big bulls hunting in the Sweet Grass Hills before too and your odds of drawing would be significantly higher but access can be a pain in there too.
I agree, with a slight variation.

Since you mentioned you want to primarily hunt during rifle, if it were me I'd be putting in for the breaks. You'd spend time behind the glass, but you'll see nice bulls.

The Elkhorns are closer to you, however you'd definitely have to put the work in for your bull. I know a guy that drew that tag this year and hunted private land during archery. He said he saw a lot of nice bulls, but he ended up shooting a 280ish bull. I think he felt the pressure of the tag and his time to hunt coming to an end. Ultimately he wanted to punch his tag.

Unless you know a landowner in the Bearpaws that would allow you to hunt, I wouldn't be putting in for that tag.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

b.purcell

FNG
250 isn’t a bad choice. There are some big bulls that come out of there every year. Kinda gets overlooked as it is a mountian hunt. Rifle season can be good in there and archery you can find big bulls just above/around the private. Not a ton of tags but should be decent draw odds with that many points. If you did draw it and needed help in there I’d be more than happy to guide you to a big bool.

cgasner1

WKR
What are you wanting out of the hunt I feel like our premium tags your going for kind of all offer a different experience wanna see more bulls or possibly go days without seeing elk knowing the unit holds some monsters so really it just depends on what you want a 330 bull in the breaks on a rifle tag I feel is pretty do able if you want bigger but are fine with eating a tag then it’s a different unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firestone

WKR
Do you want to draw a tag or just put in, chances are most of the tags mentioned above your just gonna put in. Elkhorns you will have probably less then 5 percent shot, bearpaws not a whole lot better. Premium breaks tags around 10-20 percent.

Brakes by boat is what keep trying for. Cool country. I have taken cows out of the Elkhorns and have seen huge bulls on private property. But also have seen nice 300 to 330 bulls over the years on public and in 380

Carl

FNG
Like said above, I think that 380 is overrated. Sure, there are some big bulls taken every year, but most are by hunters that are either on private property, with someone who is intimately familiar with the area, or both. I know over a dozen people who have had the tag, and have eaten it.

I had the beartooth tag (455) last year, pm me if you want some info on it.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Have the breaks really gone down hill? 20+ years ago that was a hard tag to get with a good chance at a monster bull during rifle.

OP
J

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
Do you want to draw a tag or just put in, chances are most of the tags mentioned above your just gonna put in. Elkhorns you will have probably less then 5 percent shot, bearpaws not a whole lot better. Premium breaks tags around 10-20 percent.
I want to draw. I've been putting in for a lot of years building points and I'm wanting to draw a tag

Selway

FNG
250 isn’t a bad choice. There are some big bulls that come out of there every year. Kinda gets overlooked as it is a mountian hunt. Rifle season can be good in there and archery you can find big bulls just above/around the private. Not a ton of tags but should be decent draw odds with that many points. If you did draw it and needed help in there I’d be more than happy to guide you to a big bool.

A lot of those tags went unfilled in 2019. Yes, there is potential for some really big bulls in there, but it's a much tougher hunt than most expect going in.