Montana rifle elk 700-20 permit

After applying for the tag my entire adult life, I finally drew 700-20 rifle bull. Heck, I’ve drawn a goat tag before finally drawing elk.

I used to hunt 700 for cows back when my dad and brothers were still around and able to hunt. Never bothered looking for bulls, so we only bumped into spikes and raghorns.

Not asking for honey holes, so let’s not start lol! No, I’m not a new member and don’t contribute, nor will I not be seen again after the season starts.

My question relates to the several large fires we’ve had over there in the past 5 years. A few of the spots I to wanted to go check out have burned recently. I still plan on heading out there to scout and see for myself. Has anyone who’s hunted the tag recently seen a change of elk use or habitat in some of these burned areas? Any other relevant info a guy should be aware of from how the unit has been changing over the last several years? PM if you don’t want to share on the thread. I can report out after scouting trips for those who want to share info.

Thanks guys, and good luck this coming season.

JBenz63

FNG
Thanks, definitely lucky but getting the tag is only half the battle. Traveling and access issues sound like the biggest obstacle to overcome

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I probably could have helped out more 10 years ago; I worked in Region 7 for 24 years :)

If you've never been, the country is rougher than most expect. Forget about the "plains of Eastern Montana", the breaks (both sides of the Missouri) are some of the roughest country in the state.

Most folks concentrate on the CMR, but there is plenty of BLM and state land nearby that are worth looking at. Have a gps with onX (or similar) as there is a lot of deeded land in around the breaks. I wouldn't be afraid to knock on a few doors if you see elk on deeded or if it looks like good hunting. Garfield County has a reputation of folks being gruff and owly, but there are a ton of very nice folks in that area (even some of the gruff and owly ones :D)

Rain and/or wet snow mean tough travel, not only with a vehicle, but also on foot. Lots of clay "gumbo" in that area that can make things very tough.

Stop in at the CMR field office in Jordan (assuming it's still manned), they work in the field almost daily so might be a good overall resource. They will also have good information on recent fires, road conditions, road closures, etc.

Good luck!

MT257

WKR
Stop in at the CMR field office in Jordan (assuming it's still manned), they work in the field almost daily so might be a good overall resource. They will also have good information on recent fires, road conditions, road closures, etc.
Last I heard the Jordan field office wasn’t open. That was during the Covid stuff so could have changed depending on the rules for federal employees?

OP
MTSasquatch
I probably could have helped out more 10 years ago; I worked in Region 7 for 24 years :)

If you've never been, the country is rougher than most expect. Forget about the "plains of Eastern Montana", the breaks (both sides of the Missouri) are some of the roughest country in the state.

Most folks concentrate on the CMR, but there is plenty of BLM and state land nearby that are worth looking at. Have a gps with onX (or similar) as there is a lot of deeded land in around the breaks. I wouldn't be afraid to knock on a few doors if you see elk on deeded or if it looks like good hunting. Garfield County has a reputation of folks being gruff and owly, but there are a ton of very nice folks in that area (even some of the gruff and owly ones :D)

Rain and/or wet snow mean tough travel, not only with a vehicle, but also on foot. Lots of clay "gumbo" in that area that can make things very tough.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info! I’ve found over the years that most folks, even the grouches, are just fine if you spend the time to chat with them when you pass by on the road, or stop and say hi or offer help if you see someone fixing a fence. It’s amazing how far some basic knowledge of ag and livestock, a handshake, and a smile can get a guy out there.

Did you ever hunt the tag?

OP
MTSasquatch
Last I heard the Jordan field office wasn’t open. That was during the Covid stuff so could have changed depending on the rules for federal employees?
Yeah I’m not sure about the BLM folks. I know the Forest Service offices are all back open from the closures.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the info! I’ve found over the years that most folks, even the grouches, are just fine if you spend the time to chat with them when you pass by on the road, or stop and say hi or offer help if you see someone fixing a fence. It’s amazing how far some basic knowledge of ag and livestock, a handshake, and a smile can get a guy out there.

Did you ever hunt the tag?

nope- just checked a lot of folks that had it :D

GSPHUNTER

WKR
don't discount the burn areas. for reason unknown to me, elk like those areas. maybe, after a year or so, there is a lot of new growth.

nnietfeld

FNG
Send me a message I’ve hunted deer and cows a good while up there and would like to share some pointers.
Buddy and I got drawn in 700 for archery elk. I see you have hunted it before. We are bivy hunting and I was curious if we will find water to drink? I’ve hunted Muleys there but on a private ranch and slept in cabin. Any help?

OP
MTSasquatch
Hey folks, I was able to get out and hunt and filled my tag. If you’re wanting to hear a follow up send me a pm. Thanks!

OP
MTSasquatch
Congrats!

the rest of us were bucking snow up to our knees :ROFLMAO:
I heard it was pretty snowy in the mountains! We were walking on 3 inches of gumbo for 3 days! Lots of folks pulled camps before the opener, that way they didn’t get stuck in the bottoms. We were stuck in our camp for 4 days because the road in and out was mucked on the grades.