Montana rifle elk hunt boot question

Lutzal

FNG
I am going on a 6 day rifle elk hunt in the bob Marshall wilderness next year. It is a pack in trip with an outfitter by horse but is not guided. Elevation seems to be 6k-8k feet. I am planning to purchase my new boots this year to break in during whitetail and bear season. The outfitters gear list recommends 2 pairs of boots. 1 pair of pac boots with 2 sets of liners and 1 set of goretex boots. We are scheduled for the first rifle season which is the last week of October. I am wondering if these suggestions make sense. I’ve never worn pac boots so I have no comparison. I was thinking of doing 1 pair of Hoffman pacs and a pair of 10” Kennetreks with 400gm thinsulate. I would appreciate any input and advise from others who have been in similar situations. Thanks in advance.

Bzn_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Schnee's Hunter II's. I prefer pac boots made here in the US... I have worn mine through 5 MT rifle seasons now, one around the Bob and they have been solid. As for the mountain boots, I run their Beartooth 200G boots as I find 400 to be too hot when I'm hiking hard.

Last edited:

wildcat33

WKR
Second the reco above. Schnees beartooth or granite with 200gr insulation would be perfect.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You should have no issue if you only take the 400 gram Kennetreks! Pack boots can be nice if you get into some deep snow, but they are not necessary. If you are getting dropped off by horses and have room for the pack boots, you might as well take them!

Wapiti1

WKR
I wear the tall Zamberlan 980 gtx in later season when there may be snow. Paired with good gaiters, that is all you need. Pacs can be great as well if they fit you well. Hoffman's mountain pacs are what I have, but they don't see the outdoors until it is really cold and there is a foot of snow.

I'd suggest the Zamberlans above, Hoffman Explorer, Schnees, Kenetreks, etc with 200-400 grams of insulation. Make sure they will fit over a heavy sock and get a good pair of gaiters.

Jeremy

+1 for kenetreks but all the other quality boots above are good boots. If you are able to try them on before you purchase them that is always helpful. My 400 gram kenetreks fit like pillows from day one. For me they fit my foot perfectly. Their uninsulated boot took a while for me to break in but have also been good after about 50 miles in them. They are heavy and stiff... if that’s what you are looking for they are hard to beat.

OP
Lutzal

Lutzal

FNG
Thank you all for your input! Boots are by far the most stressful piece of gear to buy. Unfortunately, I live in Pennsylvania and am very limited in retailers to try on mountain style boots. I'm going to proceed with the kenetreks and maybe grab a pair of pacs as well just to have. Thanks again!

Kotaman

WKR
I couldn't wear "pac boots" in the mountains. If Kene's fit you, a boot like that with gaiters should be all you need. I've hunted all over North America and never taken two pair of boots anywhere.

If you are near Eastern Mountain Sports or backpacking type of store you may want to check out that type of boot. When I moved out west I quit wearing "hunting boots" and started wearing quality "hiking boots" with gaiters. I currently wear Asolo Powermatic 200s with gaiters. No insulation because now I don't sit in a tree stand all day. Just a thought.

Big Ern

WKR
Love my Schnees pac boots when it gets cold or snow is on the ground. If weight Is not an issue, then always bring oacs along with my regular hunting boots (Crispi Briksdal this year).

Wilks54

FNG
+1 for Schnees Hunter 2 pac boots. I've been using them for many years for rifle hunting in MT. As others have said, those pacs are better suited for deep snow and limited hiking. Be sure to size up one size. tight boots are cold boots. If you are going to sit within a few hundred yards of where you tie up, then pacs might be the better option for you.

That being said, if you plan on putting some miles in, esp in the Bob, I would look hard at a stiffer boot where you can side hill and that also have a good heel for coming down the mountain. the beartooth and the granites are good for that. If you are going to be moving for most of the day, I'd just get a 200g boot (or even 0g) and bring an extra pair of socks to change into when you slobber up the first pair getting up the mountain.

FWIW, I hunted the Bob in Nov last year and didnt bring my pac boots.