Montana roads, MVUM questions

So I am finalizing all Of our hunt areas, I’m down to the last few potential spots(last minute changes due to our previous spots currently burning)
I am not having much luck finding out if certain roads are open, what’s the best way to go about this? I have searched the vehicle use maps for the national forests but they don’t show every area and I have no idea how to find it for BLM land.
Any help is much appreciated!

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
Call the forest service office in the specific area you are looking. They would have the most insight. Otherwise it s guess and check. I have never found anything online that has an interactive map

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

closed roads will probably be your best bet. Less people willing to walk. Don't block the ages though, I believe that's illegal.

Are you asking about whether a road is open or closed in normal conditions? OnX has this data.

Or are you asking about whether a normally open road might be closed this year due to fire or something else? That sounds like a phone call to me.

OP
Mdfowlman2
Are you asking about whether a road is open or closed in normal conditions? OnX has this data.

Or are you asking about whether a normally open road might be closed this year due to fire or something else? That sounds like a phone call to me.
I’m asking about roads under normal conditions, I know onx isn’t always correct, I’ve found multiple roads listed open on onx that the mvum shows as closed

I’m asking about roads under normal conditions, I know onx isn’t always correct, I’ve found multiple roads listed open on onx that the mvum shows as closed

I don't think any data source is going to be perfect. That includes county GIS data, maps that consolidate the data, and even folks that would answer the phone. I've personally found faults with all three.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same questions, I called the forest service for the district we are hunting in and they sent me a map for free listing which roads are open or closed and what time of year

cgasner1

WKR
Try avenza the forest service guy I talk to here in Montana prefers it over onX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk