Montana Roads/Trails?

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Have an outfitted hunt in NM this year but am already thinking about 2022, Tried google and haven't been able to find anything that clearly defines what I'm looking for. Does anyone have a link for a trails/roads map for Montana? Something similar to this https://trails.idaho.gov/, like Idaho has? Thanks

Geewhiz

WKR
Have an outfitted hunt in NM this year but am already thinking about 2022, Tried google and haven't been able to find anything that clearly defines what I'm looking for. Does anyone have a link for a trails/roads map for Montana? Something similar to this https://trails.idaho.gov/, like Idaho has? Thanks
To be honest, in many parts of the state the maps are out of date or the roads are overgrown/unusable. Use a map as a guide if you want, but honestly you're just going to have to show up and drive them if you really want to know. Don't mean to be a Debby downer but I have been in the same shoes as you and that's the conclusion I came to. Especially when it comes to BLM "roads".

bsnedeker

WKR
To be honest, in many parts of the state the maps are out of date or the roads are overgrown/unusable. Use a map as a guide if you want, but honestly you're just going to have to show up and drive them if you really want to know. Don't mean to be a Debby downer but I have been in the same shoes as you and that's the conclusion I came to. Especially when it comes to BLM "roads".

Yep. Also logging roads on BMA are totally a guessing game. A good rule of thumb that I've found works up here in NW MT is if the road goes through BMA and something else (forest service or state land) it's almost certainly unpassable, even with a bike.

def90

WKR
The forest service maintains up to date MVUM motor vehicle use maps, that are downloadable from the usfs website. These will show all of the various roads and forest service roads and will show which ones are open to various modes of transportation.

GHOSTofWENDELL

Lil-Rokslider
Be careful with some roads/trails on onx for Montana. Had a buddy get a trespassing ticket last season by using a trail that was listed as public, which ended up not being the case.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the help. Once I get potential hunt areas nailed down will use some of these resources to dig. Guess worse case scenario I'll have to throw the 4 wheeler in the bed of my truck and use that where necessary/legal.

hunterjmj

WKR
As far as I know you can only be on roads and designated trails. No off road use. I've turned a few people in that I've caught riding off trail in the breaks. That pisses me off to no end.