Montana Spring Bear: 15x Binos vs. 15-45X65mm Spotting Scope with 10x42 bino combo. Whats better?

MAXLWIE

FNG
Hi all,

moved to Montana 6 months ago and going on my first spring bear hunt. Looking for a new Optics set up for out West. I am thinking about getting 15x binos instead of the 15-45X65mm Spotting Scope / 10x42 bino combo many people run. Does anyone have experience with 15x binos for mountain spring bear hunting? I like the idea of being able to glass longer with less strain. Spotting scopes seem to be a bit harder on the eyes for prolonged glassing. I also feel like i will be able to scan more landscape with the binos. I hear black bears are hard to ID but i am not really picky about what kind of bear i shoot since this is my first year. It just needs to be legal. What are some benefits and downsides to each set up? Also, how bad is it to carry a 15x around your next in the mountains vs a 10x42 and the spotter in the backpack? For spotters I have been looking at the Mavens or Athlons. Thanks for the help!

Werty

WKR
Its all a personal preference, I personally like a spotter and binoculars. Binos for just looking, spotter to zero in on the animal. Plus if one is broken or lost, you have a back up.

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
15s around your neck is a non-starter. I run 8s on my chest and 18s off a tripod but they ride around in my backpack. I think the 18s are fine for bear, I used them all last spring and didn’t feel “under glassed”.

Use the search tool for other forum threads talking about big binos versus spotters and glassing bears in general, there’s a ton of content already on here.

Honyock

WKR
If you're looking for a spotter, the Athlon Ares UHD 65 is hard to beat for the money. It's not alpha glass but it definitely punches above their weight class. Call Doug at Cameraland.

Hi all,

moved to Montana 6 months ago and going on my first spring bear hunt. Looking for a new Optics set up for out West. I am thinking about getting 15x binos instead of the 15-45X65mm Spotting Scope / 10x42 bino combo many people run. Does anyone have experience with 15x binos for mountain spring bear hunting? I like the idea of being able to glass longer with less strain. Spotting scopes seem to be a bit harder on the eyes for prolonged glassing. I also feel like i will be able to scan more landscape with the binos. I hear black bears are hard to ID but i am not really picky about what kind of bear i shoot since this is my first year. It just needs to be legal. What are some benefits and downsides to each set up? Also, how bad is it to carry a 15x around your next in the mountains vs a 10x42 and the spotter in the backpack? For spotters I have been looking at the Mavens or Athlons. Thanks for the help!
Bit of advice. Don’t plan an optics purchase around this one hunt only. Look to the future as well.

So you currently have a pair of binoculars? If so, which ones?

Wear a binoculars harness (ex: Alaskan Guide) and the 15s are a non-issue.

What’s your budget?