Montana spring bear/2022/ideal dates

Good morning everyone. A friend and I are planning a spring bear hunt in montana (Western) for 2022. If you have experience with Montana spring bears, what in your opinion is the ideal time to go? I understand when the season opens there could still be several feet of snow and the bears could still be denned up. I hear later in the season during the rut, their coats can be rough. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Anytime in may can be good. Go too early you’ll have snow issues and less green up. Go too late and everything will be green and bears will be spread out sort of. IMO go mid month. See what happens. First year or two you’ll learn a lot and get into the bears once you figure them out.

Otzi08

FNG
Good morning everyone. A friend and I are planning a spring bear hunt in montana (Western) for 2022. If you have experience with Montana spring bears, what in your opinion is the ideal time to go? I understand when the season opens there could still be several feet of snow and the bears could still be denned up. I hear later in the season during the rut, their coats can be rough. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Planning to do the same this spring. Western Montana somewhere. Anyone have reputable sources for snow cover when it gets closer game time? In the past we have just checked with ranger stations.

Last spring was my first true bear hunt. Camped multiple nights in the backcountry glassing and hiking. We saw bears, just bears we couldn’t target. It’s a truly fun hunt, great way to get out of the house after the winter. We went in the second week of May this spring and had some issues still with the snow line. That said, we were in the mix. 2nd to 3rd week of May is a great target, but you need to have constant contact with someone on the ground that can relate back to you what the snow line is doing that particular spring, because it could be a warm spring and everything pops early; or we could slogging through snow in June, for real.

Attachments

• C6DD81C9-1357-411F-A24B-B8D6630069E2.jpeg
    C6DD81C9-1357-411F-A24B-B8D6630069E2.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 03795DC1-8BFD-4271-B930-854C9F44834F.jpeg
    03795DC1-8BFD-4271-B930-854C9F44834F.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 0B5F7269-F51C-4EA5-BC9D-80015E3195B9.jpeg
    0B5F7269-F51C-4EA5-BC9D-80015E3195B9.jpeg
    496 KB · Views: 54
  • 808DA93F-BB4D-4CC7-8EC0-982443A52560.jpeg
    808DA93F-BB4D-4CC7-8EC0-982443A52560.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 57
OP
A
Last spring was my first true bear hunt. Camped multiple nights in the backcountry glassing and hiking. We saw bears, just bears we couldn’t target. It’s a truly fun hunt, great way to get out of the house after the winter. We went in the second week of May this spring and had some issues still with the snow line. That said, we were in the mix. 2nd to 3rd week of May is a great target, but you need to have constant contact with someone on the ground that can relate back to you what the snow line is doing that particular spring, because it could be a warm spring and everything pops early; or we could slogging through snow in June, for real.
Cool photos!

I appreciate you tip and everyone else's. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Rogue Bay

WKR
I lived in northwestern Montana for quite a few years. We always did best from mid-May on. We lived in the 100 region, but once our season ended at the end of May we hopped down to region 200 that is (or at least was) open until June 15.

During May the bears seemed to be pretty stationary still. If we found sign in a location we could often go back and find the bear in that exact spot.

We killed several bears in June (June 13 was the latest) and never had a rubbed hide, not that some won’t be. They appeared to be much more mobile, which can be good and bad. Some of the largest boars we killed were taken during this time, presumably cruising for sows. That can make them hard to get on, as they don’t stay put for long, but that may also increase the chances of an encounter.

I agree the Snotel site is a great resource for up to date snowpack information.

If you end up in northwestern Montana shoot me a pm and I’d be happy to share any info I can!

Best of luck! It’s a lot of fun!

Rogue Bay

WKR
I just wanted to add one tidbit…

I know the quintessential western spring bear hunt includes glassing distant glades and mountain meadows, but don’t rule out gated or decommissioned roads with good grass growth. It’s usually pleasant hiking, is quiet, and spring bears really gravitate to them. If you find sign, like several piles of scat in a relatively small area, that bear will be nearby and will return to that same spot before long.

Okay, I’ll stop babbling now LOL.

Jdelorme

FNG
I got relatives that moved into the R1 area in montana, looking for a spring bear hunt/ possible scouting for whitetail to come back in the fall for. I live out in WA but my father in law want to head out next spring. Any sugestions on HD 100-104? not looking for honey holes but more of way to hunt, hike trails and glass? drive roads and glass? follow the snow line? are burns good starting points? any advice would be great

I got relatives that moved into the R1 area in montana, looking for a spring bear hunt/ possible scouting for whitetail to come back in the fall for. I live out in WA but my father in law want to head out next spring. Any sugestions on HD 100-104? not looking for honey holes but more of way to hunt, hike trails and glass? drive roads and glass? follow the snow line? are burns good starting points? any advice would be great
Look for north facing avalanche chutes, and yeah follow that snow line. Chartreuse grass is the color you’re looking for. Chartreuse.

Jdelorme

FNG
Look for north facing avalanche chutes, and yeah follow that snow line. Chartreuse grass is the color you’re looking for. Chartreuse.
Thanks for the advice, how much should I be in the lookout for Grizzlies, don’t have them where I live.

Thanks for the advice, how much should I be in the lookout for Grizzlies, don’t have them where I live
They are here, they merit you’re concern but don’t live in terror of them. Big bears require big bore bullets. If you’re coming to Montana to bear hunt, you’ll have to pass the bear identification test online, that should give you some practice differentiating them.

Jdelorme

FNG
Ok thanks, already passed that. Had to do it for WA so when I saw it for mt I got it done right away. Would taking a 06 or a 300wm be enough gun, or should I step up to 338wm?

Jdelorme

FNG
Nice to hear, but not great when I’m looking for an excuse for buying another rifle. Thanks for the tips!