Montana Spring Bear - Cabinet Mountains

I'm posting this because I'm hoping to maybe get some feedback from fellow bear hunters in Montana that may have some experience in the Cabinet Wilderness area. I'm planning to do several spring backpack hunts into that area with 2 of my hunting buddies in the last 3 weekends of May (that specific unit typically closes May 31st). We are concerned that a lot of snow may still be present around that time, as we've heard that area gets a lot more than average snowfall during the winter months. Basically, I'm hoping to gauge from others experience whether or not access is possible in much of that area for the spring season. Thanks in advance.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I've hunted up there twice. My initial plan was backpacking into the Cabinet, but there was just too much snow. I dont live in Montana, so I dont have the luxury of making multiple trips per year, so I had to just play an audible and be more mobile. I did get into bears on the lower elevation NF land east of the Cabinets, but ended concentrating more on the NF and timber land north of Libby.

OP
jstahlberg
I've hunted up there twice. My initial plan was backpacking into the Cabinet, but there was just too much snow. I dont live in Montana, so I dont have the luxury of making multiple trips per year, so I had to just play an audible and be more mobile. I did get into bears on the lower elevation NF land east of the Cabinets, but ended concentrating more on the NF and timber land north of Libby.
Thanks for the feedback. If you don't mind me asking, when exactly were you out there? I'm really hoping the later-may dates will have allowed for more snow melt-off, but truly can't be sure.

johnsd16

WKR
For what it’s worth, snow has been a good ways below average this year so far (which is FAR from over). Was up on the east side of lake pend oreille this morning and there’s very little snow in the monarchs and what you can see East. Was at Schweitzer a little over a week ago and had miles of visibility and again, way less snow than normal for late January. I’m sure you know there’s grizzlies.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The northwest corner of the state is at or above normal snowpack, the nearest snotel site which only sits at 5100' shows just under 5' of snow. I'd say the chances to hunt very much of the Cabinets at the end of May is pretty slim.

johnsd16

WKR
Not trying to argue but that really surprises me. Much respect for your work and service to the outdoor resources of MT.

The snotel site SW of libby and SE of bull lake is at 66% of historic average. The site in the extreme NW, up NW of Yaak is at 130% but that is a long way from the cabinets and the 66% is in the cabinets. The sites immediately east of LPO are both sub 100% at 81% at bear mountain, and 91% at mosquito ridge. Those are also fairly high for the area, and the snow drop off is extreme as you lose elevation. I guess my boots on the ground observation based on my 4 winter experience in the area is that there is significantly less snow visually especially when you look at the bottom half of the mountains. If this holds, I expect access to mid elevations will be a lot different than say 2018-19.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Poorman sits at 5100’ not exactly high for the Cabinets and as I posted above just under 5’ of snow.

I stand by my statement that the chances of accessing much of the Cabinets in May are low- in any year. That’s from someone who still has a lot of relatives/friends in Libby/Eureka area :)

If you a person can wait another couple of months before making plans, you’ll have a better idea. If plans have to be made now, a guy can always roll the dice.

There are plenty of other places other than the Cabinets that are much more likely to be accessible.

just like every year, there will be snow. We typically snowmobile in the cabinents until mid may.
low snow year, this year, so we will see, but plan on the mountains gaining snow until mid april.

johnsd16

WKR
I meant it's not that high on the ID side. Most of the stuff on the east of LPO is around 6000ish or less, so 5100' is not all that far from the top. Time will tell, and it sounds like the snow is variable as you go east from what has been said. My eyes don't lie and what I've seen in the ID side is a low snow year so far. Hunted the cabinets west of troy a fair bit in November, and at that time, it was a pretty good amount for middle of the month, but in the panhandle snow has been almost non-existent and lower elevations in dec-jan save the one storm after Christmas.

OP
jstahlberg
Poorman sits at 5100’ not exactly high for the Cabinets and as I posted above just under 5’ of snow.

I stand by my statement that the chances of accessing much of the Cabinets in May are low- in any year. That’s from someone who still has a lot of relatives/friends in Libby/Eureka area :)

If you a person can wait another couple of months before making plans, you’ll have a better idea. If plans have to be made now, a guy can always roll the dice.

There are plenty of other places other than the Cabinets that are much more likely to be accessible.
Yeah, everything at this point is preliminary, so there's really no commitment. I work just south of the Cabinets, so I'll be able to keep my eyes on it throughout the spring.

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
Lower Clark Fork area was at 87% of average as of Monday, but moved to 92% over the last couple days due to some recent snowfall. Here is the link to the daily, but keep in mind it’s rolling (daily), so it can change dramatically over the course of a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the update. I'm hoping to get to the Lower Clark Fork Area this May for some spring bear hunting.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Poorman is showing 90" of snow

I think I'm going to stick with my prediction of very slim chances :D

OP
jstahlberg
Currently at 82" which is down from 110" this day last year. If this warming trend continues and we don't get much more snow I'd think there's a chance. I also got a snowmobile this winter for Backcountry skiing, so that could be useful for access up to the border of the wilderness.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
South facing slopes are definitely starting to melt. Looking pretty typical this time of year. All depends on what elevations you have scouted out to hunt

Firestone

WKR
You will be able to hunt some of it but there will still be snow high on the north facers and in shades draws. Have you been in the cabinets before? It will definitely be an adventure but i can think of easier places to kill a bear.

joedawjes

FNG
Lower Clark Fork area was at 87% of average as of Monday, but moved to 92% over the last couple days due to some recent snowfall. Here is the link to the daily, but keep in mind it’s rolling (daily), so it can change dramatically over the course of a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Chaosonezero - I can't directly reply to your InReach Mini post or send a PM because I don't have permissions. They should change on 1/13. I'm interested in buying it, so I wanted to reach out a different way. Can you PM me?

Thanks!