Montana Spring Bear District 420

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I’m doing some planning for a spring bear hunt in District 420. If anyone has some knowledge of the area and can share some advice over private message, I’d appreciate it. I’d like to focus on the Highwood Mountains but I would consider the Little Belts if the bear hunting is much better there. It’s a 3200 mile round trip so having some info or at least a starting area to focus on is a huge help. Thanks in advance gang!

BFR

WKR
I live less than an hour from both. I’ve never been to Highwoods but have hunted Little Belts for deer and elk, there are definitely bears in both. Lots of access as long as the snow has melted off. That being said, I’ve never hunted spring bear, crazy huh? Wish I could be of more help.

mooster

WKR
I’m heading up to Libby area for the last week of the season. I’m flying blind as haven’t been there before. We hunt bear in N GA, but it’s like hunting squirrels as the bear are feeding at the the tops of white oaks, or ambushing them on trails crossing mountain gaps. Can’t wait to hike and spot & stalk in the scenery of MT. Hoping a rental AWD and some Walmart bikes will serve us well.

Nodak100

FNG
I can't PM yet, still a newbie. I have been looking at satellite images from google maps and the Little Belts look to be heavily wooded, are there large clearings to watch for bears? A lot of what I have read says to look for avalanche slides or large clearings on south facing slopes where the snow will melt quick to expose green grass but I am not seeing any. In all fairness I am from western ND were there are minimal trees so my vision is probably skewed. Thanks

mooster

WKR
I can't PM yet, still a newbie. I have been looking at satellite images from google maps and the Little Belts look to be heavily wooded, are there large clearings to watch for bears? A lot of what I have read says to look for avalanche slides or large clearings on south facing slopes where the snow will melt quick to expose green grass but I am not seeing any. In all fairness I am from western ND were there are minimal trees so my vision is probably skewed. Thanks
Call the local biologist, we got a lot of info and intel. Also, they said for us to call back closer to our hunt for more specific info on roads and snow.

mooster

WKR
Sounds good, thanks.
I check out the usfs site with maps that let you overlay MVUMs, fire history, and timber harvests. You can also get these layers using GAIA GPS or ONX assuming you have a premium subscription. I’m busy marking up and printing maps that we’ll use when there, luckily have a plotter I can use. Another tidbit, check out forest service cabins and towers that you can rent where you hunt. We booked five nights at $50 ea for a huge cabin in the heart of our area. Has propane appliances and heat, no electric or h20, but does have a grunted. There’s a water source out the back door so we can just treat that.