Montana Spring Bear

I'm in the processing of planning my first Montana hunt, 2020 spring bear. I know I read the ticks can be bad, but how about the mosquito's? I will bring bug spray but should I bring a head net? Thanks in advance.

I don't remember ever being bit by a mosquito in May or early June. They usually aren't an issue until July. I wouldn't worry about bringing spray or a head net.

Ticks, yes. You'll pick up a few just by hiking around, and even more if you drop prone to shoot a bear.

Okhotnik

WKR
bugs won't be an issue as stated by ridge ghost. A few ticks, but really minimal, compared to mid west and east coast.

Get online and do your MT bear id test and be familiar with bear id, judging size tips, field dressing, hide. care, etc if not experienced with bear hunting out west. bring a fishing rod and a few spinners and. small spoons for trout might run into. of course check if single hook regs

good luck

OP
B
Thanks guys!

I was going to ask about the fishing opportunities. My wife & I aren't fly people, but have enough walleye gear to stock a small store. Would spinners like Mepp's be good? And Daredevle type spoons?

I'm bouncing back & forth between Unit 200 and Unit 341. I've read the 2017 harvest reports & downloaded the MVUM's. I like that 341 is 3.5 hours less of a drive than 200, but it looks like it will be 99% walking due to the roads not opening until after the bear season. I like that 200's roads open sooner & the campgrounds (we are staying in a small popup for our first hunt) are closer to hunt able grounds. One camp ground is right on a river & my wife loves to fish.

If a guy had to choose between those two units, my gut is telling me to drive to 200. Does that sound right?

Thanks,
Brad

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
I am more a fan of where I can walk and avoid the road hunting pressure, but spring bear hunting in MT is a glassing game primarily, so good overlooks and high vantage points are where you will spend a lot of your time. But, lower elevation meadows and greened up river/creek bottoms hold bears too, but again, the ability to pick apart hillsides will be your best approach to consistently seeing bears.
I have hunted 341 a fair bit, and there are plenty of bears to be found. I have zero experience with 200, other than a moose hunt years ago near there and a bit north, and we did see both black and grizz in the area. Keep that in mind in either area -- it is grizzly country.
From a camping angle, especially since you have a popup, there are good spots to camp all over 341.

OP
B
I really like the look of the land in 341 (from Google Earth). I like that I can visit Bozeman (we've never been there).

As far as this hunting trip goes, my wife only asked for one thing, access to a hot shower, so that is the limiting factor for campground selection. I've found a few so far, but I'm still looking.

Thanks,
Brad

Okhotnik

WKR
I am more a fan of where I can walk and avoid the road hunting pressure, but spring bear hunting in MT is a glassing game primarily, so good overlooks and high vantage points are where you will spend a lot of your time. But, lower elevation meadows and greened up river/creek bottoms hold bears too, but again, the ability to pick apart hillsides will be your best approach to consistently seeing bears.
I have hunted 341 a fair bit, and there are plenty of bears to be found. I have zero experience with 200, other than a moose hunt years ago near there and a bit north, and we did see both black and grizz in the area. Keep that in mind in either area -- it is grizzly country.
From a camping angle, especially since you have a popup, there are good spots to camp all over 341.
Thanks guys!

I was going to ask about the fishing opportunities. My wife & I aren't fly people, but have enough walleye gear to stock a small store. Would spinners like Mepp's be good? And Daredevle type spoons?

I'm bouncing back & forth between Unit 200 and Unit 341. I've read the 2017 harvest reports & downloaded the MVUM's. I like that 341 is 3.5 hours less of a drive than 200, but it looks like it will be 99% walking due to the roads not opening until after the bear season. I like that 200's roads open sooner & the campgrounds (we are staying in a small popup for our first hunt) are closer to hunt able grounds. One camp ground is right on a river & my wife loves to fish.

If a guy had to choose between those two units, my gut is telling me to drive to 200. Does that sound right?

Thanks,
Brad

bring panther Martin spinners,
(I think more effective than mepps), little Cleos spoons in 1/8 oz silver, gold, blue.

id throw single siwash hooks on them due to regs on many waters

OP
B
Does anyone know of the best way to search for campgrounds? I've been using Google Maps & have found a few around Bozeman, but I would think there should be more (but maybe not).

Thanks

+1 on panther martens. Lots of campgrounds in this area, region 3 and they won't be crowded in the spring. Most truck stops have cheap showers. Bring a spotting scope and a good tripod you can glass long periods of time for.
You can purchase a non resident 3 day fish license for +/- $50.

OP
B
My wife & I will only be buying one bear tag, she'll be the shooter. I've read on the forum that a 12 ga with slugs is an good backup gun. I have a 12 ga that I'm very familiar & comfortable with.

But I do have access to a 45-70, 44 mag revolver & 357 revolver, but I've never shot any of them. Should I stick with mt 12 ga?

Thanks

JJBuck

FNG
I would prepare more for snow storms than bugs...it's not uncommon to get snow at relatively low elevations into June.

netman

WKR
Brad in regards to showers. Just about every campground including privately owned campgrounds will sell you a shower for $5. I have stopped at many while traveling around hunting and fishing out west.
When traveling I just search ‘campground near me’ and call and ask if they would sell me a shower. I was told no once but they went on to explain why and they felt bad telling me no.
KOA are a sure thing.
My wife and I spent several weeks in Montana and Wyoming this past summer. We showered regularly and we were tent camping.

Archer_32

FNG
Thanks guys!

Thanks,
Brad

Just moved to Montana in August, looking in the same areas for my first bear hunt. Maybe I'll see you two out there!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

OP
B
Well, four hours before Montana closed bear & turkey to non-residents, my wife & I went received an email from ND Game & Fish stating we went 3 out or 4 for once in a lifetime North Dakota tags!!! My wife drew a cow moose & cow elk & I drew a cow elk. I guess not being able to hunt Montana bear worked out for the best because now I have several scouting trips planned for the badlands.

Hopefully 2020 will be the year for Montana bear....

Okhotnik

WKR
Well, four hours before Montana closed bear & turkey to non-residents, my wife & I went received an email from ND Game & Fish stating we went 3 out or 4 for once in a lifetime North Dakota tags!!! My wife drew a cow moose & cow elk & I drew a cow elk. I guess not being able to hunt Montana bear worked out for the best because now I have several scouting trips planned for the badlands.

Congrats on those draws!!! Thats a lot of delicious meat

skierhs

WKR

Congrats on the draw! Ticks have been horrible this year so far. I have been averaging 7 ticks a day on my cloths so far. That’s with bug spray as well.