Montana Spring Bear

I’m planning a spring bear trip with my best friend and his 16 y/o son during the first 2 weeks of June and I’m looking for a little input. We’ve taken multiple backpack hunting trip out west, but this is the first to the mountains of Montana. We’ve been looking at units 316 and 317, specifically Tobacco Root and Pioneer Mountains. We’ll be driving out from North Carolina. Our plan is to set up our wall tent as a base camp and hike in for a few days at a time. I understand that snow will determine the amount of access we will have where the bears will be. Does anyone have experience or advice for either of these two areas?

mooster

WKR
We’re going from GA to NW MT. The season up there ends 5/31. Cool you guys are going in much later and will have access to more land. Boars should be in rut too?

Last edited:
OP
K
We’re going from GA to NW MT. The season up there ends 5/31. Cool you guys are going in much later and will have access to more land. Noses should be in rut too?
I wish we could be there a few weeks earlier, but got a High School graduation to go to on May 29th, Can't miss it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks. I got the info. We'll definitely look into the Hot Springs.
Just a word of advice, when someone sends you information through a PM, don't mention that information in your post. Anyone and everyone looking for info on bear hunting in MT will be able to pull up the info from the thread when they do a Google search. Good luck in MT. Oh, you guys are going to backpack in a few days at a time? Most bear activity is in the evenings, take some fishing gear because you'll have lots of downtime.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Werty

WKR
I've personally seen more bears in the mornings than I have evenings. It makes for long days. Also, look up Wayne Carleton calling all bears or they come to eat. It's one of those 2.
I may hunt some of those same areas this year. I live an hour from them. Hit me up before you come, if I can help I will.

crkotick

FNG
I’ve only lived in Montana for a year and didn’t have a bear tag last year, but went out and searched for them. Found one during late March at 7pm feeding across the hill. Snow should not be to much of a problem that time of year. Like the other guys mentioned, the mornings and evenings are best. Pretty dang slow during mid day. Good luck out there!