Montana spring bear

Bear2022

FNG
Montana spring black bear - How is road access in mid May do we need chains have never been to Montana in the spring.

Depends where you are. Not all roads are open that time of year either. Chains are pretty much an 8 month thing in Montana. You can also get really stuck, really far out if you aren't careful.

smeckert

FNG
As stated above, it depends on where you go. The bears aren’t generally found in the deep snow anyway. Mountains in the central part of the state are usually pretty good by then. There are also plenty of places where you can park and walk in a half mile to three miles that will have plenty of bears out and about.

LukeHalli

FNG
Montana spring black bear - How is road access in mid May do we need chains have never been to Montana in the spring.
Where will you be in Montana? Truly depends on geographic location, weather, and a few others. Having chains is always a smart move though. Better to have and not need them.

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider
SW part of state, most fs roads will be partially opened for a coupled miles, then gated.

huckfin

FNG
Sounds silly and is not how most people want to hunt them but you need to hunt low. Look for grass and keep it under 4500ft. But of course it depends on where you go, but there are generally bears everywhere.

Not to get you all amped up… but my son watched a bear feeding last night. March 10 is the earliest I’ve seen bears out. We’re seeing buttercups just above the river. Spring is coming early.
In a way, I can’t believe the time, money and energy that folks are willing to spend on a spring bear. But I actually enjoy hiking around MT in the spring as much, or more, than the fall. Conditions in April can be absolutely perfect.
Good luck fellas

Not to get you all amped up… but my son watched a bear feeding last night. March 10 is the earliest I’ve seen bears out. We’re seeing buttercups just above the river. Spring is coming early.
In a way, I can’t believe the time, money and energy that folks are willing to spend on a spring bear. But I actually enjoy hiking around MT in the spring as much, or more, than the fall. Conditions in April can be absolutely perfect.
Good luck fellas
This is great to hear. Going on my first bear hunt this may.