Montana Suppressor Demo Wanted

treillw

WKR
Would anybody located relatively close to Helena MT have a suppressor that I could listen to? I'm trying to decide whether I want to go with a Thunderbeast Ultra 5 & 9, or just get a 7. Hearing one (or a similar can) would greatly help me in making my decision. Unfortunately the only suppressor I've been around was a 300 blackout a few years ago.

Thank you.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Dealers generously let me shoot the TBAC ultra 5, 7, & 9 in 30 cal. Also heard an old model 338, .223 can, and a 7" 6.5 mm (all TBAC).

I was amazed at how quiet the .338 was. Unbelievable. Definitely not silent, but takes the hell-roaring dragon and turns it into a pussy cat. Listened to it with no ear pro and it was fine. (Standing behind shooter in wide open)

I think I've taken notice that your shooting position makes a big difference on how loud it sounds. If your next to anything, it reflects the sound back a lot. Shooting prone also seemed to sound louder than standing up free hand - which surprised me a little. Have you noticed this at all? (Obviously buildings and such will reflect the sound)

The 9" 30 cal can on my 6.5 creedmoor made me giggle with no ear pro. Gotta have one of those.

The 7" 30 cal on my 6.5 wasn't bad either, but a shade louder.

I shot the 7" and 5" on a 300 win mag. The 5" with hearing protection on is a pleasure. Knocks down the blast and concussion from the brake, which I believe contributes to a good part of hearing damage when you are wearing plugs and muffs - you can't get rid of the bone conduction. I shot the 300 win with no ear pro and the 7 from the prone position. My ears had just a slight short ring and then felt half decent. A lot better than unsuppressed, but I wouldn't want to make a habit of it. I didn't want to do the 5" without ear pro, because I'm sure they would ring a little more. Shooting 215 grain bergers with i believe 74 grains of h1000.

I think a 5 and a 9 is the way to go for hunting and practice. A 7 probably would do the job for both, but maybe not quite as well.

What are your experiences? I'm especially curious to see if you notice a noise increase while shooting prone vs standing. (now that I think about it, I shot the 6.5 standing and the 300 prone - probably a lot more to do with the caliber than position, but the .223 next to a building was loud)