Montana Surplus Tag List

archp625

WKR
Does anyone know whats going on with the surplus tags? I could have sworn that they were supposed to send emails out yesterday. When I go into my account all I see is Not yet finalized.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
I was wondering the same thing. I don’t see how we’re gonna get our elk B tags in time for early shoulder season

bsnedeker

WKR
They just posted results on myfwp FYI. My numbers are not looking good!

Edit: I was reading it wrong...actually looks like I'm going to be able to get almost every surplus tag I applied for! My god I love this state!

Last edited:

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
You can print them from myfwp. I just printed my wolf and lion tags after purchasing.
I hope you're right. I guess I was thinking they would be mailed out like the other B tags we got in the draw. It would make more sense for them to have us print them to make less work and potential for problems for them. Things are a little weird this year with the new system.

bsnedeker

WKR
I hope you're right. I guess I was thinking they would be mailed out like the other B tags we got in the draw. It would make more sense for them to have us print them to make less work and potential for problems for them. Things are a little weird this year with the new system.

no doubt...first you could print them, then you couldn't, now you can. Doesn't make sense to me either.

bsnedeker

WKR
What number did you get?

I applied for 4 deer B, and 1 elk B and my number is lower than the number of available tags on all of them except for 1, which listed zero available. Looks like I'll have 3 elk tags and 5 deer tags in my pocket this season! I also still have my bear tag and my general turkey as well as my lion tag and a couple of wolf tags. I'm gonna be busy this fall!

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
I applied for 4 deer B, and 1 elk B and my number is lower than the number of available tags on all of them except for 1, which listed zero available. Looks like I'll have 3 elk tags and 5 deer tags in my pocket this season! I also still have my bear tag and my general turkey as well as my lion tag and a couple of wolf tags. I'm gonna be busy this fall!
Not sure what their source is because I can't find it on FWP but this gohunt article says that you can only buy two deer tags through the surplus and the rest you have to buy OTC if there's any left over. They're good at keeping us on our toes! https://www.gohunt.com/read/INSIDER/new-change-to-montana-surplus-license-process-2020

bsnedeker

WKR

Ok, now I'm just confusing myself. My buddy told me the second number was the number of available tags, now I'm thinking it's the number of hunters who applied, so yeah, maybe my chances aren't so good!

bsnedeker

WKR

bsnedeker

WKR
I just got an email from FWP telling me I have the option of buying an 004-00 elk b tag. I was number 363 on the list. That is the only one I got an email for, nothing for deer, but that might be another email?

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I just got an email from FWP telling me I have the option of buying an 004-00 elk b tag. I was number 363 on the list. That is the only one I got an email for, nothing for deer, but that might be another email?
Thats awesome man. Hope you have an awesome hunting season.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Was there any kind of deadline to respond on whether you want the tag or not? I would think they would need to get through the people in line in front of you before offering you the tag...

bsnedeker

WKR
Was there any kind of deadline to respond on whether you want the tag or not? I would think they would need to get through the people in line in front of you before offering you the tag...

It says I have 10 days, so until 11:45 PM the 21st. After that my opportunity to buy it is gone. I would assume they would move onto the next folks in line after the 21st. Of course, I bought the tag 5 minutes after I got the email!

Erict

WKR
Here is what my email, received today, states, in full:

XXXXX,

You are receiving this message because you signed up for the Montana FWP Surplus Hunting License List.

You now have the opportunity to purchase:

DEER B 007-03 (08/12/2020 - 08/21/2020)

The license(s) can be purchased at license providers, FWP regional offices or online at fwp.mt.gov during the ten day time period indicated next to each license listed above. The license(s) will be listed under the Surplus heading and must be purchased prior to 11:45 pm on the last day of the time period. If the purchase is not made by that date and time, the opportunity for the Surplus License(s) is lost.

This opportunity applies to the license holder with ALS #: XXX
And date of birth: XX/XX/XXXX

If you need additional assistance or have questions, please call the FWP licensing center at 406-444-2950 or your regional FWP office.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Here is what my email, received today, states, in full:

XXXXX,

You are receiving this message because you signed up for the Montana FWP Surplus Hunting License List.

You now have the opportunity to purchase:

DEER B 007-03 (08/12/2020 - 08/21/2020)

The license(s) can be purchased at license providers, FWP regional offices or online at fwp.mt.gov during the ten day time period indicated next to each license listed above. The license(s) will be listed under the Surplus heading and must be purchased prior to 11:45 pm on the last day of the time period. If the purchase is not made by that date and time, the opportunity for the Surplus License(s) is lost.

This opportunity applies to the license holder with ALS #: XXX
And date of birth: XX/XX/XXXX

If you need additional assistance or have questions, please call the FWP licensing center at 406-444-2950 or your regional FWP office.
Thanks for the update. I received my email as well.