Montana Tags, Elk and Deer, not as a combo

So this is probably going to be confusing, but here goes.
I drew a non resident general deer tag this year, I purchased a preference point at the time of application. I did not put in for elk,
I had a blast on that general deer tag, I'd really like to keep putting in for it and it seems like you can draw pretty consistently if you can keep a preference point.
As far as I am aware you are only allowed 1 preference point per season, if I continually draw a deer tag does that keep me from accumulating the 2-3 preference points it seem like you need these days to draw the big game combo, or the general elk tag, or is the preference point species specific?
I'd like to get serious about a general elk tag in MT. The question is basically do I need to sit out the deer hunt in order to build preference points to draw the elk tag, or can I put in for the deer tag and the elk tag separately and not the combo and build points towards the elk tag, and still hunt deer in the meantime?

johnsd16

WKR
Preference points are not species specific. If you want a deer and elk tag the same year you just put in for the big game combo. You cannot draw a deer combo and all combo in the same year.

There are 3 types of general tags...
1. Deer combo
2. Elk combo
3. Big game combo

The PP used to draw those are the same, so no, you cant draw on and build points for another.