Montana taxidermist recommendations needed

Bcleck90

WKR
I’m looking for a reputable SE Montana taxidermist for a deer shoulder mount this year (hopefully). Miles City and Broadus area make the most sense logistically but I’m willing to look at options.

Anyone used Cat Tracks Wildlife Design or Powder River Taxidermy in Broadus?

Last edited:
Why not cape it out and have your local guy do it? WAY cheaper. Hell, I don’t wanna tote any more weight off the mountain than I have to lol.

OP
B

Bcleck90

WKR
Shop in Broadus does a helluva job. He’s really good
Which one in Broadus @Snowcrest6? Both of those I mentioned are there.

Why not cape it out and have your local guy do it? WAY cheaper. Hell, I don’t wanna tote any more weight off the mountain than I have to lol.

@Patterbuilt CWD laws traveling out of state. I guess I could leave the hide only to be tanned and shipped, cap the skull and clean enough to be legal. Have you done that before?

Dude, every stinking time lol. Watch a taxidermist take the cape off, it’s not hard. Well, the second time it isn’t hard lol. If you can field dress a deer you can do it, just be careful 👍 I’m sure there’s a YouTube video for it.

You can transport the antlers attached to the skull plate after the brain matter is cleaned out. All I’m carrying out of the woods, besides my meat, is the rack and the cape. -zero bone. Probably saves 15ish lbs that are just gonna be discarded anyway. Learn to do it, you’ll be glad you did 💪🙂

Erict

WKR
I know a place in Forsyth - if that's within your range then "PM" me.

Be sure to get a quote for shipping unless you are driving back out to pick up your mount. It takes a big box to put a mount in and you will be appropriately rewarded with the box construction and shipping costs. If you go every year, it may be cheaper/easier to pick it up the following year if you work that out with the taxidermist, as it may take him almost that long to complete it.

Good luck.

fatlander

WKR
He’s in Livingston but fantastic.

We ship our animals to him from. South Africa, OH, FL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He did the euro for my bull last year. Very reasonable prices and fast turn around. Great guy to work with. Great communication and even saved me a bunch on shipping by shipping to a business instead of my home address.

Peaking around at his work, I wouldn’t hesitate to have him do a shoulder mount. Incredible work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bcleck90

WKR
Thank you everyone for the replies. I’m going to look at these options and start there!

WCB

WKR
Cape it out and cap it...clean the brains out and bring it home. I looked at the two taxidermists you listed and the other taxidermist listed by another user here....No way in hell they would be touching my animals. subpar work at best.

I've used Powder River Taxidermy in Broadus to shoulder mount a deer for me in 2019.

I thought the pricing was fair, the communication was pretty good, and the mount turned out awesome. I was pretty particular about how I wanted the ears and he texted me pics so I could give the thumbs up.

He shipped it to Kansas and made sure to ship it the most cost efficient way.

I would 100% use them again. Text me 913.633.2265 if you want to see some pictures of video of him.

OP
B

Bcleck90

WKR
Cape it out and cap it...clean the brains out and bring it home. I looked at the two taxidermists you listed and the other taxidermist listed by another user here....No way in hell they would be touching my animals. subpar work at best.

@WCB do you have any recommendations on who would take care of the cape / ship it? I need to read over the regs again but I thought you couldn’t bring a cape either just deboned meat.

OP
B

Bcleck90

WKR
I've used Powder River Taxidermy in Broadus to shoulder mount a deer for me in 2019.

I thought the pricing was fair, the communication was pretty good, and the mount turned out awesome. I was pretty particular about how I wanted the ears and he texted me pics so I could give the thumbs up.

He shipped it to Kansas and made sure to ship it the most cost efficient way.

I would 100% use them again. Text me 913.633.2265 if you want to see some pictures of video of him.

Thank you for the offer @Dos Perros. I will shoot you a text.

FWIW, I used the local guy because 1) he appeared to be pretty good, and 2) it was a pretty hot day and I was worried about keeping the cape cool enough on the drive home. If you have a quality/dedicated cooler it's certainly an option. The Broadus IGA has block ice and most of the time they have dry ice too.

Which one in Broadus @Snowcrest6? Both of those I mentioned are there.

@Patterbuilt CWD laws traveling out of state. I guess I could leave the hide only to be tanned and shipped, cap the skull and clean enough to be legal. Have you done that before?
This. Just have to get the brain matter out. Either boil, or skull cap...
Now for a sheep, mountain goat or mountain lion. I'd use someone who has done a bunch. Purcell Taxidermy out of Red Lodge MT is top notch on everything if you're dead set on that route

WCB

WKR
@WCB do you have any recommendations on who would take care of the cape / ship it? I need to read over the regs again but I thought you couldn’t bring a cape either just deboned meat.
I do not have a MT taxidermist as I bring all my stuff home. There are no regulations on hide or caped skull plate with brain/spinal tissue cleaned out. I usually do this at least 1 or 2 times a year from different states and also multiple times a year boil the skulls myself before returning if not doing a shoulder mount.

OP
B

Bcleck90

WKR
I do not have a MT taxidermist as I bring all my stuff home. There are no regulations on hide or caped skull plate with brain/spinal tissue cleaned out. I usually do this at least 1 or 2 times a year from different states and also multiple times a year boil the skulls myself before returning if not doing a shoulder mount.

Thanks @WCB I’ll read them again. I’ve been euro mounting / boiling before I travel back so haven’t had to worry about this yet. I just assumed the cape was part of what you couldn’t bring back without it being “finished taxidermy”.