Montana Turkey Hunting with Rifle

I'm going deer and elk hunting this year and some of the areas have turkeys. In the fall Montana allows for the use of rifles.

Before reading the article below I was good with a head shot but after reading a lung shot near the spine seems like a good choice if it's further than what I am comfortable for a head shot.

Article: https://omegaoutdoors.blog/turkey-hunting-with-a-rifle/

My question is has anyone shot a turkey with a 270 win or similar in the lung area? If so how much meat damage occurred.
f06de549cb9a2ea5942156f9eaf11a27.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I’ve shot numerous turkeys with a rifle, a 7mm rem mag, and have seen several more with 270, 30-06, even shot one with. 54 cal muzzleloader. The meat damage is usually surprisingly minimal. If you hit a breast directly then it can obviously be fairly bad but if your far enough back to be lungs/backbone then the breast usually doesn’t have any damage at all.

the first time I saw a friend shoot one with a rifle I thought it would be nearly cut in half so I understand your hesitancy.

300 wby mag. Not bad. Not enough on a turkey to cause the heavier bullets to open up yet. I imagine a 22 Cal ballistic tip would be a completely different story. I have shot a bunch with a muzzleloader as well, similar story, just try to not shoot directly through the breasts.

OP
M
Awesome thanks guys, if the opportunity presents itself I'll give it a shot!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

FLAK

WKR
I shot one with an '06, Thanksgiving morning. Couldnt help myself, after all it was Thanksgiving.
Shot it at the junction of the drumstick/body. No damage to the breast or the drumsticks. DRT.

I've shot a bunch with a .270 and a bunch more with a .22 mag. Depends on the bullet and where you hit. I've seen some birds basically explode with a really light bullet from the .270. We like to shoot them as high as possible with deer rifles. Low ruins breasts and thighs. Also avoid head-on shots if you can. Broadside lets you control the bullet path better.