Montana Unit 212

wthunter

FNG
I've been narrowing my search down for a unit in Montana. I will be on a DIY solo archery hunt. Most of my hunting will be day packing, but I am not opposed to a spike camp. One unit that I have been researching is 212. I have not been able to find a lot of information on this unit online, so I figured I would give it a shot on here. I had a few specific questions about the unit.

From what I have read, many of the interior roads through the unit are not passable (or very difficult), even in a 4WD truck. For me, this is a positive. Just curious if anyone has been through the unit and can attest to the condition of the roads. Also, are there some decent spots on the side of the road or trail heads to camp? Any concerns about leaving gear in the back of a truck in this unit?

Second, I was curious about the number of archery hunters. In general, I find it difficult to find the number of archery hunters per unit for Montana. Obviously, I haven't looked in the right spot yet. If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated. I did find a number from 2016 on a random website, and it said around 2,000 hunters for 212. I assumed this took into consideration the number of rifle hunters in this unit as well. If anyone has hunted this unit, how bad is the pressure? I know being within an hour of a major city is playing with fire, but is it ridiculously high?

Finally, what are the realistic chances of hearing bugling in this unit? I went on a hunt in Idaho last year and I didn't hear one bugle (due to a variety of reasons). One reason why I chose to get into elk hunting is for the interaction with the animal. I don't expect bulls to be bugling their heads off, but hearing a few sure would be nice.

If anyone that is no longer hunting this unit has any additional information to share via PM, it would be appreciated. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of information to provide in exchange as I am newer to elk hunting, but if anyone is looking for good midwest whitetail hunting, I would be able to hook you up!

fatlander

WKR
If you didn’t find much information on the internet about the unit when you googled it, there was still a fair amount of elk killed in years past, and it’s got a good bit of public land, that’s a probably a good thing. . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have very limited experience in this area but is definitely an area that you will want a atv or preferably a side by side. Lots of rocky trails but overall there are a lot more roads going thru the area than you think. A handful of roads heading into upper Gold creek/ Dempsey can be dangerous with someone who does not have experience on these types of roads. Lot of them go to old mining claims but is easy to get way back in and camp.

Area is full of deep thick timber but if you get high enough in elevation you will find open meadows and run out of timber.

Not sure what your camping arrangements are but there is limited camping in the bottoms. If your bringing a camper you may be hard pressed to find a spot and will most likely be sharing it with some neighbors. What side of the district do you plan on going in from?

OP
W

wthunter

FNG
I have very limited experience in this area but is definitely an area that you will want a atv or preferably a side by side. Lots of rocky trails but overall there are a lot more roads going thru the area than you think. A handful of roads heading into upper Gold creek/ Dempsey can be dangerous with someone who does not have experience on these types of roads. Lot of them go to old mining claims but is easy to get way back in and camp.

Area is full of deep thick timber but if you get high enough in elevation you will find open meadows and run out of timber.

Not sure what your camping arrangements are but there is limited camping in the bottoms. If your bringing a camper you may be hard pressed to find a spot and will most likely be sharing it with some neighbors. What side of the district do you plan on going in from?

I was thinking about camping at the truck most nights in a tent. Honestly, I don't mind walking up some rough roads or gated off roads then dipping off. I was hoping to not have to take an ATV, but will if it is necessary to get to elevation without having to hike 3 miles just to get to a jumping off point every day. I was planning to go in from the west side.

Missjordan is pretty spot on.

I have hunted this unit occasionally, but spend a lot of the summer working in the area. Most roads are "passable" with a 4WD truck but probably not something you want to do in your nice truck. There are plenty of OHVs running around so don't be surprised if someone passes you on your hike in. It definitely gets pressure during archery season, elk numbers are OK, but lots of region 2 units are down this year largely due to the shoulder seasons. West side wetter than East side. Heavy timber, high country is mostly rock. Some wolves and a grizz or two. If the elk aren' t talking they can be tough to find in this unit because there is little glassing country.

2017 only 23 elk were killed with a bow versus 255 with a rifle.

There are a lot of other units out there with better elk numbers and better chances of harvesting one. It's pretty country, but if I were coming from out of state, I'd stop short in Region 3 or 4

Best of luck if you decide to try it.

OP
W

wthunter

FNG
Thanks High Wild Free and MissJordan. Very helpful information from both of you. (y)

Hunted hd212 last season for the first time and did harvest a 5x6 bull during archery. Some bad roads that require 4WD or a OHV, I'm surprised I put my brand spank'in new taco through some of those roads.

I only spent a total of 3 days in the unit, a weekend hunt (2nd weekend of Sept) only seeing a cow. and 1 Saturday last weekend of Sept. when I harvested my bull. Only ran into 2 other hunters when I was hunting, lots of moo cows. If I were to go back I would focus more on the east side of the unit closer to the Prison Ranch, I believe that's where the majority of harvest comes from in the unit.

Lots of thick timber and high country, I just covered lots of ground. Be ready to do long miles and lots of elevation gains if elk arn't talking. Never got into any crazy bugle fest situations where I was hunting. Like the others, if you're looking to get into more elk I would consider R3 or R4, but those regions also get more hunting pressure.

Regardless of what anyone says, if you put in time and hard work into any unit you'll get into elk.

Last edited:
Both elk and hunter numbers are skewed due to the lower elevation prison ranch hunt area on the east side of the unit, so keep that in mind as it sound like that's no where you are going.

There are definitely some nasty roads. I used my old Tacoma with good all terrain tires to crawl up a few of them, but there are many that I wouldn't want to take a nice truck up. As has been mentioned, there are plenty of 4-wheelers buzzing around- both hunters and just recreational riders.

OP
W

wthunter

FNG
Both elk and hunter numbers are skewed due to the lower elevation prison ranch hunt area on the east side of the unit, so keep that in mind as it sound like that's no where you are going.

There are definitely some nasty roads. I used my old Tacoma with good all terrain tires to crawl up a few of them, but there are many that I wouldn't want to take a nice truck up. As has been mentioned, there are plenty of 4-wheelers buzzing around- both hunters and just recreational riders.

Yeah, I planned to head to the west side of the unit. Honestly, I rather hunt the side with less animals if that means less hunters around. It sounds like I would need to bring an ATV...I'd hate to take my truck on some shady stuff. I really appreciate everyone chiming in. It has confirmed what little information I was able to find out about the unit.

OP
W

wthunter

FNG
@High Wild Free & @Phatfisher :

I have identified a few units in regions 4/5 (I think). Found one unit in the Crazy Mountains and a few in the Little Belt Mountains. The Crazy Mountains look to be mostly private ground but I had thought about trying to catch them going back and forth between the private and public. I'm sure there are plenty of others with the same idea. The Little Belt area look nice as well. I might start in 212, then move to another unit later in the season if I am not having much luck. Not sure how smart it is to hop units like that though....

OP
W

wthunter

FNG
What date's are you planning on hunting? length of stay?

I was originally planning on showing up at the beginning of the season but my dates are flexible. Was planning on a 2 week stay. If I am getting into elk I could extend the trip some.

I was originally planning on showing up at the beginning of the season but my dates are flexible. Was planning on a 2 week stay. If I am getting into elk I could extend the trip some.
If you're going to show up early just be aware that there's a possibility that there might not be any rut activity happening yet, which equates to minimal bugling if any at all. Which is mentally draining (dependent on the person) if you're hunting thick timber and not getting into anything, not hearing anything, and are also doing long miles.

What I would do, would be to hunt country more open earlier in the season where you can use your eye's to do most of the work instead of your legs.

Phatfisher makes good points. Early season can be tough in country like 212.

Access in the Crazies is tough, but there are lots of elk there. Belts are the same but with better access and more hunters. Some of those roads are busier than the highway during hunting season. Hunting along private land is usually your best approach especially in the Belts.

My question to you is what do you want out of this hunt? If you want to see and hear some elk and are willing to put up with some company and hunting boundaries then pick the Belts, if you want to hunt mountains on the west side, less company and less likely to see or hear elk then Region 2 might be better.

What made you choose 212 if you don't mind me asking?

OP
W

wthunter

FNG
Phatfisher makes good points. Early season can be tough in country like 212.

Access in the Crazies is tough, but there are lots of elk there. Belts are the same but with better access and more hunters. Some of those roads are busier than the highway during hunting season. Hunting along private land is usually your best approach especially in the Belts.

My question to you is what do you want out of this hunt? If you want to see and hear some elk and are willing to put up with some company and hunting boundaries then pick the Belts, if you want to hunt mountains on the west side, less company and less likely to see or hear elk then Region 2 might be better.

What made you choose 212 if you don't mind me asking?

The reason I started looking into 212 was it seemed to have ok elk numbers, but not as many people hunting it. Last year when I hunted Idaho there were so many people around. I was in shock how many camps there were going up the mountain and how many people I ran into in the woods (many 2-3 miles in). I'm just trying to avoid that situation again because it wasn't very much fun. So I figured the rougher roads would keep the less serious guys away and also there might be less recreational people out and about. I couldn't find much information on the unit either while researching, so I figured that was a good thing. In Iowa when hunting big mature whitetails, I 'specialize' in hunting more obscure or less popular places. That is where I tend to find the most mature bucks. I thought this unit might be one of those places. Also, from the sounds of it there are only a few grizzlies in that unit, which for the west side is good for a solo hunter like myself. Maybe I am completely off base with my thoughts about the unit?

I'd really like to hunt bugling bulls, but who doesn't. I don't mind a more challenging hunt where I put in some miles and elevation though. I'm fine with hunting with others around, but last year in Idaho was just over the top. Bottom line is, I want to be where there are some nice bulls around. Maybe that is every unit in Montana.

One reason why I was thinking about coming out early was so I had more time to adjust. I could use the first 3-4 days essentially scouting, checking out roads, good places to camp, checking for elk activity/elevation, etc. From what I gather from this thread, I might be better off starting in an eastern unit. If I am running into too many people or not having much luck, then possibly move to 212 as the rut approaches.

Last edited:
And then you started asking about it on line... I know you need info but naming unit numbers on a public forum brings a whole new set of problems.

Have never hunted that area, but have fished and spent some time there during the summers to early fall. LOTS of atv traffic, almost always see big groups of side by sides running all those old mining roads.

Bottom line is, I want to be where there are some nice bulls around. Maybe that is every unit in Montana.

Every unit in MT has good bulls, but I think you'd be kidding yourself if you think your going to come into an unknown unit and score some hidden spot with big bulls. There are very few bulls dying of old age in OTC units in MT.

The reason this unit doesn't get much mention is that it is pretty mediocre in terms of elk numbers and quality. There's a lot of great looking elk country that is totally devoid of elk, and there's some real nasty country that is totally devoid of elk as well. This is true for most units.

I think you've got a decent plan, but don't think that the key to great elk hunting is getting away from other hunters. Some of the best elk hunting I've had has been in areas that are loaded with other hunters, fortunately most don't know how to hunt elk. Where there's lots of hunters, there's lots of elk.

Again, If I was in your shoes. I'd hit the Belts (very busy, but still able to get away from people) on the way out, and if it just isn't your cup of tea then head west.

OP
W

wthunter

FNG
@High Wild Free

Your advice on elk sounds much like my own when talking to folks about chasing big whitetails. No big deer is a secrete anymore (trail cams are everywhere) and everywhere you go in Iowa has pressure. Just have to use the pressure to your advantage and put in your time.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread. It has helped me a great deal to narrow down my plan and preparations for the gear I think I will need for this fall. I'll post an update after the season just in case anyone is curious how I do.

@wthunter How did your season end up going? New Elk hunter from Wisconsin here would be interested to hear how your experience was. Hear any bugles? Any advice for a fellow first timer who is used to public land whitetail hunting in the midwest?