Montana unit 300

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I'm considering trying to hunt this unit this next year hopefully I was just curious if anyone had any experience with this unit. I should add I don't need specific spots I'm more of wondering how the "traffic" of people is. I'm not sure what to expect as far as elk goes. I've been doing some homework as far as the elk goes but I can only know so much without putting some miles on. Also, I was curious if there is a decent amount of grizzlies I need to worry about since I will be going alone. I should mention this would be a mid to late September bow hunt.

Brianb3

WKR
I drive past it every year coming back from Idaho. I might be there this year with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bacwest

FNG
I have hunted this area for several years now and really like it other than the fact that a lot of the area I hunt is pretty accessible so you get guys in utv's driving into the woods so they don't have to hike, which is annoying. I have to wonder, why elk hunt if you don't like hiking? Sheesh, I figure elk hunting is just backpacking with a weapon 90 percent of time...but I'm fine with that.

Back to 300, open country with timber not a ton of elk but not a ton of pressure if you get away from road hunters and utv's. We have several drainage s that way if the elk are not active we have other options. For the most part we have found elk in every drainage.... remember that a drainage in MT is up to 20 miles deep. The further you get off the road the better your hunt.:D

Joelweb

FNG
I would expect the elk to move around a lot in there. A fair amount of hunting pressure with limited cover. Bring your spotting scope.

BuzzH

WKR
I haven't hunted 300 for a lot of years, probably close to 20 years now.

A couple buddies and I used to hunt the late cow permits there, we could draw them on a second choice.

The times we hunted it, we always killed cows, but we never found any "easy" ones. I never hunted it during the general season, but know people that did and said it was an absolute zoo. I avoided that whole mess.

Killed these two just below Lima Peak, did the "on three" deal and each killed a cow:

buzzelk17.JPG

Another time we found a herd in Shineburger Creek and we got these two:

buzzelk16.JPG

OP
R

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the information, seems like a fair amount of people I will have to compete with. Well I don't have an utv just 2 feet so you don't have to worry about me @bacwest. With that being said I will make sure I bring my spotting scope and keep my expectations open.

Joelweb

FNG
And I'd be working that scope from a high point at first and last light. You might only get 20 minutes to watch them before they disappear. I've hunted in SW Montana a lot, and I find most hunters show up in elk country after the elk have gone to bed and then they are back at camp before the elk come out. They never see a thing.

Your best bet would be to show up a few days early and try and find a couple bulls before the opener. I'd then be on top of them at first light on opening day. They are unlikely to change their habits until disturbed.