Sending to the dumpster

Can’t help you on the unit unfortunately, but I would guess if you put in the work like you usually do for deer you’ll have success. Nice bucks!

I looked into the unit. There was like a 60% increase in tags this year so they can get rid of CWD. I would actually hunt as early as possible if I had the tag.

Selway

FNG
I looked into the unit. There was like a 60% increase in tags this year so they can get rid of CWD. I would actually hunt as early as possible if I had the tag.
Yep. The tagholders I know are scouting all summer and will be trying to wrap things up labor day weekend.

Tendoy sheep hunt 2.0. Kill 'em all.

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR

There has been one case of CWD in the unit and it was a couple years ago per my conversation with the Bio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has been one case of CWD in the unit and it was a couple years ago per my conversation with the Bio.

I know nothing about how prevalent CWD is in the area. I just read that CWD was the reason for the increase in tags.

Selway

FNG
Nope. Crazy part is that the Glasgow bio never told me about it when I called two weeks before the draw deadline. He specifically said that it might be the last year of the low tag numbers. Pretty frustrating to tell you the truth.

125 to 200 tags and this being the first year probably isn’t going to be terrible with our dates (November 6-14th) but man it pisses me off that I wasn’t told about it. He told me the buck to doe ratio is nearly 1:1, and that it’s his favorite tag since he’s local. I guess he’s had it twice. At least I know now how we both drew on separate individual apps.

It sounds like they are trying to balance out the buck to doe ratio since they kept only 100 does tags. Killing deer as zero affect on CWD. It has been tried many times to reduce their density or by wiping them out, and it hasn’t stopped anything.

The unit was 50 tags for a long time, they only upped to 100 and 125 very recently. The big bucks that have been taken out of there recently were a product of the 50 permit years, so essentially it's 4x as many tags as when it was managed properly.

CWD prevention is the reason FWP gave for upping the permits, @dirtytough is correct.

Sorry about your points.

MT257

WKR
I sure wouldn't get your hopes up about a 170" yes there are some around but with the tag increases of years past has taken a toll and the quality just isn't what it once was. Good luck.

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
The unit was 50 tags for a long time, they only upped to 100 and 125 very recently. The big bucks that have been taken out of there recently were a product of the 50 permit years, so essentially it's 4x as many tags as when it was managed properly.

CWD prevention is the reason FWP gave for upping the permits, @dirtytough is correct.

Sorry about your points.

No big deal. I was never really concerned about hunting special permit units in Montana for deer. I just look forward to the vacation of rifle hunting open country every year. I only applied for deer in MT all these years because I was already doing so for elk, sheep, moose and goat. I can’t think of a shittier state for special permit deer tags. If I end up killing another 150-160” buck, so be it.

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
I sure wouldn't get your hopes up about a 170" yes there are some around but with the tag increases of years past has taken a toll and the quality just isn't what it once was. Good luck.

I am used to a general unit so I’m sure it will still be a fun hunt.

OP
slim9300

slim9300

WKR
Here’s my promise to someone willing to help. I will delete this thread before the season starts and I will not post any pictures or create a thread based on what we kill. To be honest, I never post any of my success on the forums anymore. I just figured using this number of points I might be able get some advice, but with the tag increase this becomes a more obtainable resident tag so I understand the hesitation.

JustHunt

FNG
I haven’t hunted it because I haven’t been able to draw it. But if it were my tag Ide hunt it as early as possible and try and jump shoot one out of his hole before they get shot by some rando out of a truck later in the season. 3rd week of November should be busy.

Schaaf

WKR
There's a lot of deer in there. There will be a lot of people. I'd try and archery hunt it and tell the rifle season to piss off.

Feel free to send me a pm.

Last edited:

Lukeduke13

Lil-Rokslider
After 15 years of applying in Montana, my partner and I drew this tag. We have hunted Eastern Montana for many years and I have been going there for 30 years now (started with my dad when I was 6). We kill decent 4-points every year, but I was hoping for the chance to finally kill one in the 170” range. My biggest is 28” wide but only scored 160” and 140-150” deer are what we typically kill.

I realize that killing a 180”+ deer is unlikely in 652, at least based on my conversation with the bio before applying. That’s okay, and I realize we burned a lot of points for this unit, but special deer permits in MT are terrible options as it is. I want to be in Eastern MT, and Western/Central doesn’t interest me during deer season. I love that place.

I have spent a few hours laying out walks and prospective areas. There really aren’t that many options since it’s a pretty small unit. I would love to share my ideas with someone if you know the unit.

So here are my questions/concerns: We may be locked into our traditional timeframe that we typically hunt (2nd week of November) since my partner is a cop and he puts in a shift bid for the time off many months in advance. I am concerned that for this unit later is better, but I don’t know for sure. Where we hunt, most years they are rutting pretty hard in the first and second week of the season. My dad goes later and we generally have a better hunt. Thoughts on timing? Is there a significant difference in week two, versus three and four?

We take my FIL’s side-by-side on an open trailer and sleep in the back of my truck (even when it’s -15 degrees) but I’m debating renting a toy hauler this year. Any suggestions on where to camp? The side by side makes weather a mostly non-issue but I am well aware of the mud/snow/roads, and how dangerous the country can be if you are unprepared.

Anyways, I’m just looking for any help you can provide to better prepare us for the hunt. I will be lucky to hunt this unit again in my lifetime so I want to make the most out of it. I totally understand if you want to talk privately and I welcome that. If you PM me, I would greatly appreciate a phone conversation.
Thank you for the help!

Here’s my promise to someone willing to help. I will delete this thread before the season starts and I will not post any pictures or create a thread based on what we kill. To be honest, I never post any of my success on the forums anymore. I just figured using this number of points I might be able get some advice, but with the tag increases this becomes a more obtainable resident tag so I understand the hesitation.

I added some of our bucks over the last couple years for fun. We love open country hunting after a long archery elk/deer season in the timber.

ce573b013cc365b75c702dc8c1a350f2.jpg

dd467011555fe5727b148efe3073c373.jpg

2ff36fef9d80a8a8a9fbb631eb542ef8.jpg

e75f16c77019c5f7ee72defbfdeddc2e.jpg

44cacd30c6b06e633079a0e22e3556f4.jpg

1a99e3013e594f3765b1fede85e1e50d.jpg

35964d090ea192e19a02f11bea1602f7.jpg

7f964c0a8dbf2a297e61043ab4a80b02.jpg

How’s it going?
You seem pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Montana. If you wouldn’t mind emailing me, I have some general questions on the differences between the different parts of Montana. Not looking for a spots just some guidance. If you wouldn’t mind helping it would greatly appreciated.
Thanks
My email is [email protected]

Cubby

WKR
I've drawn this tag twice and hunted it many times with friends that have drawn it plus my best friend has a cabin at Rock Creek. Best advise is hit it late when they are rutting hard also hunt where most won't like get out and walk. My buddy shot a very nice 170" LAST YEAR

cgasner1

WKR
To me the biggest problem with this unit is that it’s to small it doesn’t really provide much benefit since they bucks can travel out of it so easily I had the tag 4-5 years back best buck I saw was around 160” 3x4 let him have a pass since I was hoping he was gonna grow up a rancher I talked to had said the year prior Fwp had busted some out of staters that had been shooting every 4 point they saw and cutting heads off for many year I don’t know how much truth there is to that. I know people that live up there they don’t put in for it if that says anything you will see a unbelievable amount of deer and I wouldn’t worry about taking a sxs entire unit has pretty decent county roads since they almost all lead to peck honestly a boat would probably serve you better than a sxs would for more access

cgasner1

WKR
243931705346babef1be7a89b9fc68f6.jpg

Buck i shot on the tag I didn’t think he needed to be spreading his seed