Montana VS Colorado Idaho. General units

Birddog3

FNG
I will be hunting montana for elk this year on a general tag for the first time,

first post also- never had the need to do much research on the units we elk hunted as always hadame knowledge on colorado and Idaho in last years.

I’m wondering for those that have hunted either states before how the hunting pressure compares?

my thought was with a limited draw on general tags it would be better but seems I’m finding in my research and discussions with other this is not the case.

I’m wondering if I made a mistake pursuing this thinking I would find a better hunt in MT?

aways found elk where we have been before and really welcomed the challenge of the pressure etc.

Am I better off turning in tag and hunting elsewhere I guess is my first question if anyone is able to help out. Be more than willing to share some info on other states.

thanks

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
I'm guessing it really varies but I've hunted all 3 states multiple times and I've seen the least amount of people in montana.Last year we were there the last week and a half of September and we had the woods to ourself. we hit a half dozen different trailheads and never ran into anyone while hunting

I have hunted all 3. You are going to see the most people and the most hunting pressure generally in Colorado due to the over the counter tags. Montana in my opinion is a good balance and they have good elk numbers and you have the ability with the tags drawn and big country to get away from a lot of the pressure. Idaho can be some good hunting but in those areas tags are harder to draw. In general Idaho does not have the elk numbers that MT has in my experience. I like hunting MT. You just have to research and get away from the weekend warriors.
ie- get away from the roads.

Hunted Colorado and liked the challenge of pressure but ready to turn in a Montana license? Are you serious?

OP
B

Birddog3

FNG
Thanks for replies. That is what I wanted to hear, the finding new areas is part of the fun but a guy gets to misss some of his old haunts when u only get back once a year. Was starting to second guess myself.

I have hunted Colorado 2 ways with guides. One was public land out of Gunnison. Ran into a lot of people and pressure. The second is out of Southern Colorado where the guide has private land leased. We don't run into anyone. I like Colorado but I love Montana. Now Mule deer is a totally different story. Colorado is a premier place for that.

Seems like Colorado you have to deal with more hunters because of the OTC tags, but MT you have to deal with private land owners and guides herding the elk to keep them on their land and making it harder for those hunting on public land. Don’t turn in your tag though. MT is a great state to elk hunt in. The MT rifle season is a little later than CO so you could always do both if you have the time and money.