Montana?

OP
netman

netman

WKR
Rather than risk it I went to their online licensing and tried to buy the bow and arrow license. It let me click on it and prompted me to give prior archery license information. I typed the info in and when I went to the next screen it said I needed all the permits I just bought with my combo license. I sent a email to their HQ and to their licensing asking what I need to do.

Riplip

WKR
I think you are fine, I wouldn't worry about the license as it clearly states you no longer have to have the license prior to application. This is the way it used to be as well, much less confusing.

Blinn

FNG
Good find, I read the articles a few times and did not see this info. I imagine this was taken out because last year there were a lot of angry applicants who did not purchase the archery license at time of application and were denied permits. As mentioned above I did purchase the license at application.

Ha, I don’t know if it is a good thing or not! Every person who forgot to add it in the past was one less person I had to compete against for those limited archery only tags! I kind of wish they kept the requirement to weed out a few guys:). I know, that is not very sportsman like of me...

Riplip

WKR
Ha, I don’t know if it is a good thing or not! Every person who forgot to add it in the past was one less person I had to compete against for those limited archery only tags! I kind of wish they kept the requirement to weed out a few guys:). I know, that is not very sportsman like of me...

Ha, true! Well a good karma builder if you believe in that kind of thing. Good luck in the draw.

OP
netman

netman

WKR
For those who are still unsure....

Attachments

• 3981E4DC-266B-4753-9DBB-80929509B2BC.jpeg
    3981E4DC-266B-4753-9DBB-80929509B2BC.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 68

Gumbo

WKR
I bet if you send them another message with the same question you'd get a different answer. Sad but Montana doesn't have their ducks in a line.
Same could be said about any business or agency. Tough to have 3000 employees all up to speed on every idiosyncrasy of the regs, especially when the regs are as dense as MT's.

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
When purchasing a MT archery hunting license, I've only needed to show them my archery license from last year, either from MT or my home state. You don't need proof of a training course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwegga

FNG
When purchasing a MT archery hunting license, I've only needed to show them my archery license from last year, either from MT or my home state. You don't need proof of a training course.

Your previous years archery license IS proof of taking a training course. If you didn't have a previous archery license you would need a bowhunter ed certificate. They are working off the assumption that other states also require education before getting an archery license.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jfclarktn

FNG
Your previous years archery license IS proof of taking a training course. If you didn't have a previous archery license you would need a bowhunter ed certificate. They are working off the assumption that other states also require education before getting an archery license.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I’m in Tennessee and when asking my local game warden about a Bowhunter education certificate he had no idea what I was talking about. Hopefully I can get it locally if I’m drawn.

You have to get it in person wherever they sell licenses. You have to either show an archery license from your state or show that you've taken an archery hunting class somewhere.

They let you buy it online now. Put in hunter Ed cert or license # and state.

cwegga

FNG
I’m in Tennessee and when asking my local game warden about a Bowhunter education certificate he had no idea what I was talking about. Hopefully I can get it locally if I’m drawn.

The organization Montana uses is NBEF https://nbef.org/ They appear to be pretty universal so I think one of their courses should count for most of the USA and Canada. Montana requires a field day along with the online class, so I'm not sure how that works, but I'd expect them to just honor a course for another state. They show that you can take the online course for Tenessee even though Bowhunter Ed isn't required there. I'd say pay the $30, take the online course and then if you are drawn try to purchase an archery license for Montana right away to see if they'll accept your certification number or whatever you get.

slick

WKR
When I had first moved to MT this was news to me also. I had had archery deer license in the past in the Dakotas. I had to have NDGF fax over my records of previously holding an archery license for MT to allow me to buy their archery stamp. I have never taken a “bow hunters education”.

Elk97

WKR
If you have, or have had in the past, an archery license in your state you can just show that and get one in MT. I bought one in WA and that's all they needed in MT, no class needed.

When I applied I did check the box for bow and arrow but I haven't found a place to show proof of bow hunter education or a previous years archery stamp from another state. How do I show proof?

When I applied for my general elk combo, I did get an archery license and it took me to a screen to put in my Bowhunter Ed, or previous archery license info. Both my brother and I did it this way.

Scrappy

WKR
When I applied for my general elk combo, I did get an archery license and it took me to a screen to put in my Bowhunter Ed, or previous archery license info. Both my brother and I did it this way.
I hoping since this is my third year applying for a tag in Montana that there computer recognizes me and doesn't require proof again.

whitetail88arch

Lil-Rokslider
Since my archery tags from Missouri are on my phone can I just show that or do I need to print a tag out