Montana

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
Wife wants to relocate in the next year or two and thinks we should move to Montana .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
boonez40

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
Relocate from where?

Which part of Montana are you thinking about?

What do you do for work?
She is thinking around Billings or Boseman.

We are from West Virginia.
She is the Director of Business for a Assisted Living Facility with a back ground in Medical.

I am pretty much a Jack of Trades and very flexible. I have a back ground in Construction, Sales, Home Satellite installations, Heavy Equipment operator and presently work for a Hardwood Flooring Manufacturer.

And we are currently in the first stages of being a Bloodhound breeder and possible training our dogs for wounded animal tracking and possiblely search and rescue
Training .

BIllings and Bozeman are as different as night and day. Bozeman's housing and cost of living is some of the highest within the state of Montana. Median house price in Gallatin County (Bozeman is the county seat) is $825k.
Billings is Montana's largest city. It is also the largest hub for everything on the eastern side of Montana. Drugs and crime are a real problem around Billings. Median home prices are around $380k, but know that at that price point, you WILL be in a shitty area.
I would suggest plenty of research, coupled with at least a week visit in each location that you're considering.
Good luck.

jimh406

WKR
If you are thinking Montana, realize the weather varies a lot. I suggest looking at the climate data for the cities you are considering.

OP
boonez40

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
BIllings and Bozeman are as different as night and day. Bozeman's housing and cost of living is some of the highest within the state of Montana. Median house price in Gallatin County (Bozeman is the county seat) is $825k.
Billings is Montana's largest city. It is also the largest hub for everything on the eastern side of Montana. Drugs and crime are a real problem around Billings. Median home prices are around $380k, but know that at that price point, you WILL be in a shitty area.
I would suggest plenty of research, coupled with at least a week visit in each location that you're considering.
Good luck.
Any suggestions is appreciated

jimh406

WKR
One more thing. Montana is beautiful and has great weather almost everywhere during the Summer. If you visit, visit the cities you are considering in late Jan/early Feb. I suggest flying in and renting a four wheel drive car.

DWBMontana

Lil-Rokslider
I made the move 16 years ago. I moved to a very rural area of Montana, the small town I lived in was 40 miles from Canada and 30 miles from ND. I wish I would have moved a lot sooner. That said, I had a very good job offer already lined up, and I was single at the time. I made the move from Nebraska, which, in some ways has a lot in common with eastern Montana, farming and cattle country. As others have mentioned, the weather is a big consideration....I have seen a high of 114 and actual air temp of -45 , not to mention the wind, you will see winds of 40-60 quite regularly, with higher winds a few times a year. You could not pay me enough to live in either places you mention. They are good for weekend visits, but beyond that it is not for me. I am now married and we have two homes in Montana, one up on the Milk river in NE Montana, and a home in Big Timber, which is 55 miles from Bozo and 80 from Billings, so I do know the area some. I would try and find a home to rent, I have know quite a few people who make the move, but decide this country is not for them after a few months, lol.

Last edited:

hunterjmj

WKR
We moved from the Bozeman area to central Montana. Bozeman is not what it use to be. Lots of good people still there though. We do Costco/WinCo runs to Billings once a month or so. Billings is fine to visit but wouldn't want to live there.

bobr1

WKR
As others have mentioned Billings and Bozeman are probably the most polar opposite cities in Montana. If you’ve never been to the state or those cities, I’d highly recommend visiting them as other have suggested, especially in the winter. The housing and rental problem is no joke especially in Bozeman. Also, Montana sucks, I’ve heard Wyoming or Idaho are much better places to live.

Fyi idk about MT specifically but trailing big game wounded or not is Illegal in alot of Western states. So id double check if you are planning on that as possible income.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up in MT and moved back up here near Billings last year after bouncing around the country for 20+ years, most recently in the mountains SW of Denver. The first winter back was long and windy, not all that much snow but the wind and cold were relentless. In comparison to just about anywhere else I've lived, the crime rates are pretty low and considering that Billings in the largest "city" in MT, the overall crime rates are barely in the top 10 for the state, Helena was actually number 1 in the article below. It's definitely been an adjustment finding decent places to eat out and I'm having to re-find my favorite fishing spots but the main thing was I'd forgotten the long cold winters...

As many has mentioned - winter is long, windy and chilly to very cold. I'm a little higher but from October to June my clothing of choice is carhardt. How many layers is the question.

Summer in the valleys can be hot but likely not as humid as the midwest. The best month of the year is September.

The quality of your neigbors is based on how long they have been here and how strong their desire to "fix everything". Most recent imports seem to pick up 5-20 acres and a gross of "No Trespassing" signs.

Again I live kind of high. Most imports leave within 2 years. Most can't figure out that there are no services and you maintain your own driveway including plowing. I moved back with a tractor- bought a small dozer - then bought a bigger dozer.

For you city bound folks- lots of luck but you likely came from the same. I won't even shop in Bozeman or stop for fuel. Billings has things of interest - a couple times of the year. Great Falls can be a destination sesonally but largely since it still resembles a farming community. Missoula - a grab bag but tolerable.

Like many have said. Rent for a year then decide.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
I hear the best place in Montana to move to is in the Southern or Eastern part, goes by the generic term of "Wyoming."

Strangely enough the specific term for that place is also Wyoming.

You might consider checking housing prices before even entertaining this idea.