Montbell Alpine Down Parka First Thoughts

mcimes

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 39" chest and wear US Large or Japan XL in MB stuff.

Its worth comparing and converting their size chart though, because some JP sizes are in between a US size. In general sizing up 1 will work for most, but I would still convert and compare to be sure.

Also you can order US sizes from Japan in some models, but not others, so just order US if you have a belly or arent sure.

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone got a picture wearing the green alpine down jacket in the woods? Would be awesome to see how the color blends in

sneaky

"DADDY"
I stopped reading the OPs 8 paragraph review when I got to "I've only worn it in my house".

I own the alpine, for the price and weight you won't find a warner puffy. Hardly anything at $300 has box baffles, let alone 7oz of fill. If you dont think box baffles matters hold a standard sewn baffle jacket up to the light.
For $339 you can get a Cumulus Neolite Endurance with 9oz of 850fp down in a medium size at 18.8 oz total weight. Box baffled. For 12.9 oz in a medium you can get a sewn through baffled Cumulus Mountlite with 6.35 oz of 900fp down for $299.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RoseAllen

Lil-Rokslider
The Alpine and Alpine Light are totally different in terms of warmth.

The Alpine Light is probably good into the 20's static or single digits with some light activity (camp chores, walking on flat ground, etc). Sewn through construction, 4.8oz down, 14oz total.

The Alpine is a beast and probably good to near 0 static and well below that with any activity. Box Baffle construction, 7oz down, 16oz total.

Pro Tip - order from Montbell Japan because the weak yen makes the Alpine only $170ish!!!! This makes the Alpine one of the best Warmth/$/weight ratios on the entire market. Make sure you select the US sizing or read their size chart carefully if ordering JP sizing (I have a JP jacket - size up 1 from your regular US size and it fit fine)
Tried to place order on Japan site. Never could get past generic credit card list? What's the secret to placing order on Japan site?