Montbell Plasma 1000 or Kuiu super down ultra

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking about purchasing one of the above down jackets. I want something lightweight the plasma is right under 5 oz and super down ultra is less than 7 oz. Which one would you guys go with and why? Has anyone had any experience with both by any chance?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Niether, at those fill wieghts it is basically a windbreaker. I would rather take a 250 wieght half zip wool top at about 9 ounces as it will insulate if damp from sweat and an Arc'teryx Squamish hoody (4.9 ounces). A much more versatile and durable combination that costs about the same.

Don't get me wrong, I love my down (own 3 different down jackets), I just don't see it as useful below about 5 ounces of fill (something like a RAB Microlight Alpine).

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
So I have both the Kuiu SD Ultra pants and vest and have been extremely pleased with them. Extremely lightweight and exceptionally warm in my opinion. I use both as mid layers and they have zero bulk, which is a big thing for me and they both have worked great for my application. Never would I dream something so thin and lightweight would be as warm, but they’ve exceeded my expectations! I know this isn’t exactly what you were asking with the jacket, but was something I figured would help you out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Niether, at those fill wieghts it is basically a windbreaker. I would rather take a 250 wieght half zip wool top at about 9 ounces as it will insulate if damp from sweat and an Arc'teryx Squamish hoody (4.9 ounces). A much more versatile and durable combination that costs about the same.

Don't get me wrong, I love my down (own 3 different down jackets), I just don't see it as useful below about 5 ounces of fill (something like a RAB Microlight Alpine).

Thank you makes sense. I was thinking of using it under the Kryptek bora soft shell jacket during colder weather. I was just thinking of something lightweight to keep me a little warm when glassing or at camp. My thinking was something lighter weight that I can pack while hiking, then grabbing it only when need it.

OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
So I have both the Kuiu SD Ultra pants and vest and have been extremely pleased with them. Extremely lightweight and exceptionally warm in my opinion. I use both as mid layers and they have zero bulk, which is a big thing for me and they both have worked great for my application. Never would I dream something so thin and lightweight would be as warm, but they’ve exceeded my expectations! I know this isn’t exactly what you were asking with the jacket, but was something I figured would help you out!

That was exactly my thinking carrying something which is almost zero bulk that is still somewhat warm to use under my Kryptek bora soft shell jacket. I appreciate the input.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thank you makes sense. I was thinking of using it under the Kryptek bora soft shell jacket during colder weather. I was just thinking of something lightweight to keep me a little warm when glassing or at camp. My thinking was something lighter weight that I can pack while hiking, then grabbing it only when need it.

I can see them working as a UL mid layer to replace a fleece. I like heavier down for sitting still and rarely wear it if moving due to moisture management issues. So personally I would not replace my fleece for down even though it would save about 10 ounces to take the Montbell Plasma instead. Down is also the one thing I bother with dry bags for.

As with most things gear related, it really depends on the individual and the environment it will be used in.

The right down jacket for you is gonna depend on where you live, seasons you hunt (early warm, or late cold), style of hunting (long trips with variable weather or close to the truck where can bail out whenever needed).

Like Marbles said those jackets are thin and probably more suited for September archery style hunts. A jacket like the SG Grumman or arc’teryx cerium lt start getting you into a more versatile range, around the 12oz total mark. If you want a jacket that can get you all the way into the 10-20F deg range, go with one of these pieces or heavier. If you only need the jacket for 40F deg mornings and aren’t worried about being stuck out for long periods in the cold then go with one of your other options you listed. Combined with a fleece and shell you’re gonna be ok even down to freezing for short periods.

Just a comment on the montbell though is the thin exterior fabric is gonna shred real fast so be careful with it.

mcimes

Lil-Rokslider
Old thread I realize, but I tried a bunch of UL jackets recently.

Montbell plasma 1000 alpine parka (with hood)
Montbell plasma 1000 jacket (hoodless, Japanese version with hand pockets)
Montbell alpine light
Ghost whisperer hoody
Ghost whisperer vest
Cumulus primelite pullover

I can say without question the greatest (commercially produced) jacket ever is the Plasma 1000 PARKA (the one with a hood and 3.4oz down). It's warm below freezing with minimal base layers and fully featured at under 9oz (full zip, hood, hood adjustments, waist cinch, zip hand pockets). 3.4oz of 1000 fill in this jacket is visually and in reality extremely puffy. Something about super lofty baffles jist screams warmth. This jacket has one of the best fill ratios just based on my perception of how much the jacket wants to loft to 100% puff.

The Plasma 1000 JACKET on the other hand is a worthless waste of money that isn't even warm at 60 degrees. It has a pitiful 1.6 oz down and no waist cinch so you lose all your heat out the waist. Avoid this jacket. 1.6 oz is not enough down to fully loft the baffles. A 5oz fleece like a peloton 97 or macpac nitro is a better layer for the weight. Just get the P1K hooded parka which is worth its weight in gold. Sweater weight down jackets with less than 2000 fill volume are worthless imo. 3k is good. 4k is a warm. 5-6k is good into single digits with proper layers

The cumulus primelite is the best warmth: price:weight piece on the market, but it has a distinct European V cut. I am very athletic and there it's cut perfectly, but has zero extra room for an American gut. Zero. At 3oz 900fp down for $200 it's a great great piece if you are skinny or athletic. (Muscle or fat bulk will cause issues with this piece. Be warned)

I love my alpine light. It's slightly warmer than the plasma 1000 parka as it has about 10% more fill and a better baffle pattern. It's 20d material is somewhat more durable. I mostly use this on shorter trips or around town. If your not concerned about 6 extra oz on a puffy, the AL is a real and practical contender. I got it in forest green so even stealthy.

Last I have a MH GW vest in a size smaller than I usually wear. Since it has no arms I can get away with a medium which fits my torso like a glove. I layer this under any of the other jackets for a significant warmth boost for only 5oz. plasma 1k parka + gw vest = 5000 cuin fill for 14oz. Toasty well into the 20s and probably lower. The 1k parka + cumulus is 6000 cuin full for 15.5 oz, a true UL masterpiece combo probably good into single digits with a smart setup (i.e proper clothing over the rest of your body plus a shell as needed)

I had a GW hoody but found it inadequately warm or a good value compared to the other jackets outlined here.

Hope that helps. Assuming you're fit, buy the Cumulus Primelite not the P1K jacket. The primelite is a much much much better/warmer/better value piece. Or just step up to the P1K Parka. It is stupid warm and well designed at 9.1oz for a size Large. Overall the 1k parka is best puffy followed by the cumulus imo. The 1k hoodless jacket is a scam. (And I say this as a happy owner of many montbell products, and strongly recommend all their stuff, minus the 1k hoodless jacket)

Last edited:
OP
U

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Old thread I realize, but I tried a bunch of UL jackets recently.

Montbell plasma 1000 alpine parka (with hood)
Montbell plasma 1000 jacket (hoodless, Japanese version with hand pockets)
Montbell alpine light
Ghost whisperer hoody
Ghost whisperer vest
Cumulus primelite pullover

I can say without question the greatest (commercially produced) jacket ever is the Plasma 1000 PARKA (the one with a hood and 3.4oz down). It's warm below freezing with minimal base layers and fully featured at under 9oz (full zip, hood, hood adjustments, waist cinch, zip hand pockets)

The Plasma 1000 JACKET on the other hand is a worthless waste of money that isn't even warm at 60 degrees. It has a pitiful 1.6 oz down and no waist cinch so you lose all your heat out the waist. Avoid this jacket. 1.6 oz is not enough fill to lift the baffles. A 5oz fleece like a peloton 97 or macpac nitro is a better layer. Just get the hooded parka which is worth its weight in gold.

The cumulus primelite is the best warmth: price:weight piece on the market, but it has a distinct European V cut. I am very athletic and there it's cut perfectly, but has zero extra room for an American gut. Zero. At 3oz 900fp down for $200 it's a great great piece if you are skinny or athletic. (Muscle or fat bulk will cause issues with this piece. Be warned)

I love my alpine light. It's slightly warmer than the plasma 1000 parka as it has about 10% more fill and a better baffle pattern. It's 20d material is somewhat more durable. I mostly use this on shorter trips or around town.

Last I have a MH GW vest in a size smaller than I usually wear. Since it has no arms I can get away with a medium which fits my torso like a glove. I layer this under any of the other jackets for a significant warmth boost for only 5oz. plasma 1k parka + gw vest = 5000 cuin fill for 14oz. Toasty well into the 20s and probably lower. The 1k parka + cumulus is 6000 cuin full for 15.5 oz, a true UL masterpiece combo probably good into single digits with a smart setup (i.e proper clothing over the rest of your body plus a shell as needed)

Hope that helps. Assuming you're fit, buy the Cumulus Primelite not the P1K jacket. The primelite is a much much much better/warmer/better value piece. Or just step up to the P1K Parka. It is stupid warm and well designed at 9.1oz for a size Large. Overall the 1k parka is best puffy followed by the cumulus imo. The 1k hoodless jacket is a scam. (And I say this as a happy owner of many montbell products, and strongly recommend all their stuff, minus the 1k hoodless jacket)
This is great information thank you for taking the time to add to this thread.