Month of Sept. Off work looking at a DIY hunt.

I'm a newb looking at do an elk archery hunt. It'll probably be a OTC tag DIY.
I got word last week I will be furloughed for 40 days for the month of September.
Any input on what states and areas to focus on would be great. I'm coming from SC. I'll look more into this forum.
Thanks

Going to be tough to find a 2022 DIY over-the-counter bull elk opportunity, being that we're now into July. But, there might be a landowner tag out there, somewhere.

Marble

WKR
I think today is the last day for secondary draws in CO. If there are archery tags left over you could apply.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
J
The application seems complex. I can see why people plan over a year out.
Thanks everyone.

bozeman

WKR
Think of it this way, you have 40 days, most coming from the east do not.....they will stop at the closest OTC unit or general unit they can....keep that in mind while planning. I have found, if you go further west in CO, WY, MT, you will see fewer out of state tags on trucks.....its really that simple.

OP
J
I put in for unit 54. I wanted towards meeker but I didn't understand the restrictions.
54 looks like rough terrain. If everything goes to hell I figure I'll do some fly fishing in the gunnison River.
Thanks again.

That’s a great way to make lemonade out of lemons. With that many days off I’d just grab an otc tag and enjoy the month. Be sure to put together a fishing setup and be as mobile as you want to be. I did 17 days solo one year with a job change and did a quick refresh of supplies at the truck mid trip. Enjoy and take lots of pics. The whole month of September in the mountains would be a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoyt Ag

FNG
Get an OTC tag in CO and just spend time in the woods. Having that much time off, and having 2 months until season, you can do a lot of escouting and cover a lot of ground in a unit in a whole season. I prefer to do OTC in archery than OTC rifle seasons. Sure there is pressure, but not as bad IMO. Just get way way back into the thickest habitat you can find and you should find animals. I guide in 11 and 22 so if you choose one of those let me know. Happy to share some advice with a fellow hunter.

You can also get an OTC bear tag with the elk tag in certain units.

I would be calling every state for turn in tags and leftovers. You can hunt Colorado and move around a lot if you have too. In a month, a change of scenery would be nice. I have the entire month off also but didn’t draw anywhere but here in CO. I’m looking into the other opportunities as well.

OP
J
I would be calling every state for turn in tags and leftovers. You can hunt Colorado and move around a lot if you have too. In a month, a change of scenery would be nice. I have the entire month off also but didn’t draw anywhere but here in CO. I’m looking into the other opportunities as well.
Great idea. I agree I might go crazy hunting for a solid month in one location.

Lucky you! I would stay the whole month. If I killed a bull early I would spend the entire rest of the month scouting different areas. Calling in bulls and trying to find other hunters that needed someone to call for them.
Make new friends, see some awesome country, fly fish rivers and streams and spend the whole month in the mountains. That would be simply glorious. Killing a nice bull would just be icing on the cake.