Moose bags

Nontyp

FNG
I am taking 4 canvas bags @40”x48” & 3 of my usual elk bags that are the thicker white stretch bags. Do you think that should get it? I’m running out of weight limit.

AKDoc

WKR
You're asking a good question, but a helpful answer is contingent on greater specifics...

Are you hunting in Alaska? If so, what GMU? Each GMU has specific meat salvage requirements. Does your GMU require some meat to be left on the bone or boned-out? That answer is a big factor in determining if you are taking sufficient size and number of game bags for the job.

As a comparative...I hunt in GMU 18, which requires meat to be left on the bone on each quarter, but rib and neck meat can be boned-out. Therefore, at minimum I take (6) 28"x60" game bags (one for each quarter, and one for each side of rib and neck meat...and those 6 bags are HEAVY, so I also take a couple of extra bags just to get the rib/neck meat loads more manageable to hump to camp). I also take 4 smaller bags for the tenderloins, back-strap, heart and liver).

I'm a big fan of TAG bags for their lite weight and small packing space for weight restricted fly-ins...and they are reusable.

OP
N

Nontyp

FNG
We don’t have to keep the meat on the bone up if we have to pack it much I’ll probably separate the bone at the knee, after I take a picture with the entire leg sticking up out of my pack. I could probably get 1 or 2 more of my large elk bags in my gear if needed.
I figure if we get a moose we can transfer meat from the bloody bags after a few days to the other hunters clean bags then wash the bloody bags incase we get a 2nd moose.
I’ve read on the tag bags and some others but if I can use what I have then I will. If I need to order some I will do that also.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I don't believe those bags will be big enough, just get a set of the bigger T.A.G. bags and if you can afford it, get 2 sets so you can swap them out while you're still in the field. Good luck on your hunt.