Moose Calls: "Here Moose, Come Here."

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I am pretty much the opposite of those trad guys in your story. I'm not afraid to make blood happen. I can just imagine how pissed the guides must have been. I could never be a guide or outfitter, I have low tolerance for people, let alone dip shits.

Good thread. My experience on only 2 moose hunts reinforces the comments above.

I had a funny one. I was in northern BC on a guided moose hunt and there were 2 other Trad guys in camp.....my first real experience with the worst side of trad. I shot my moose [compound] and the other 2 guys were whining to my guide that their guide sucked...and on and on.

The whole trip these guys were saying they needed 20 or under. I was irritated by these guys by their "Training wheel" comments but put up with them. My guide was even getting pissed. We spotted a bull from the boat....cruised into shore above the bull and the guide and one trad guy snuck in to 30 yds broadside for about 5 minutes. The trad guy refused to shoot. Oh man the guide was ticked...he was trying to explain to the guy, "Its not whitetail"...the kill one is about 4x....."If you will shoot a whitetail at 20....a bull mose at 30 is a layup"...he never took the shot.

Next hunter; We called another monster bull from about 1/2 mile away....slob of a bull, huge paddles. He must have weighed 1200#. Well the guide and I were back from the hunter appx 30 yds calling and filming...... we called that bull to 12 yds from the hunter. The bull stood there... stood there.... looking for the cow. I was zoomed in on the bull waiting for the shot.......tick tock...nothing. The bull started to do that looking from side to side....so you knew he was getting nervous ready to leave. I zoomed out to get the hunter in the frame....he just stood there?????

The bull finally leaves and now the guide lost it with these guys, "WTF you doing, you said you could just step out and shoot?" and he grabbed the video camera from me to review the footage. I didn't notice when I filmed but in the video you could clearly see the bull in the same frame along with the bowhunter and the guy was shaking like a leaf....."I couldn't draw my bow he finally admitted" All that $$ for the hunt....a head scratcher.

If you are shooting a weapon that requires close shots.........you probably should think about the consequences ......

So for raking..would your recommend a plastic jug over a scapula? I have an elk scapula out in the yard. Was thinking of using that.

cnelk

WKR
Justin
We basically wrecked 2 moose scapulas in 7 days of raking trees.
They hold up very well compared to plastic but there is a weight difference.
Since you're hunting Shiras take your pic