Moose Euro question

AKDoc

WKR
That is beautifully done…excellent!!

Many memories to come as you sit and view a visual reminder of your Alaskan adventure. May you enjoy for many, many years to come!

vtmooser

FNG
besides the old propane tank ,what did you guys use for a pot or tank and heat source?

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
It was PIA, I just used a propane burner and an oval tub which really needed to be a size bigger but it seemed there was a shortage of tubs on the market so I had to make do with this one. I also had to cut a couple blocks of wood to put under each end of the tub so the weight was distributed, This thing was pretty heavy, every time I moved the skull I had to be careful not to tip the whole thing over.
I had to soak the nose then rock the nose in the air to get the back of the skull while constantly keeping the towel wet.

20211007_102812.jpg

vtmooser

FNG
thanks for the reply, seems everybody has to use towels to cover between the horns. Can't wait to start the process still waiting for the shipment from NL since October.

I brought the antlers inside the house yesterday and my goodness the antlers have that rut stink coming off of them, any ideas on how to neutralize that smell without having to wash the color off? It's not the skull that stinks, definitely the antlers.
Hot soapy water and a quick brush does the trick on stinky antlers

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
Hot soapy water and a quick brush does the trick on stinky antlers
I ended up trying Febreeze but all it did was make it smell even worse!! then I grabbed some enzyme spray and that knocked the smell right out.

I'll tell you what, moose rut smell is rank!