Moose Gear List Help

roymunson

WKR
I did some searching on here, but didn't find anything I really liked.

Doing a fly in moose trip out of anchorage in a year or so and would like to see a "common man's" gear list. Most of the ones I find online are all sponsored by an apparel brand. I don't plan on being a billboard for a single brand, I just want what works.

I'll be swamp hunting moose on a fly in trip. Already settled on Simms waders and wading boots. I think I have most of the stuff I need, but I have a bunch of stuff I probably can do without.

Moose live in a lot of terrain, so I wanted to see what some of you gear lists look like. I think the Billy Molls pin up top here has a good list, but wondered what worked and what didn't for some of the more experienced folks.

Hunt of a lifetime, but I'm already hoping to make this a fairly common occurrence.

I honestly don't have a list I can copy and paste, but let me say....

Your first trip definitely will have you wishing you had certain things and realizing you didn't need others. A lot of that is just personal preference. I like a small axe in camp. Others scoff at that. I'm betting half the guys who go are bringing solar chargers. I consider them a total waste of weight and space for my ways. I haven't ever wanted or needed a gps in Alaska ever....prefer to navigate by learning the area and using developed skills. Many guys can't get past it. I consider my Helinox chair as indispensable to my happiness in camp. You might be lost without a book or perhaps a skillet. There is a huge amount of individuality in any gear list, and all of us can argue why everything on our list is important.

There's some truth to the old saw, "Rather take it and not need it, than need it and not have it". Defining what you truly need vs want is where the lines get blurred. I suggest you compose a list of the things you absolutely know you will need, and another of the things you may want. Don't be afraid to go without luxuries; you're there to hunt and some amount of inconvenience is definitely baked in to any remote hunt.

I believe you're smart to look at other's gear lists. The guys who have done it a bunch of times generally have it fine-tuned....they bring what they will use and very little of anything else.

mooster

WKR
Message me your email address and I’ll share my spreadsheet. It’s not a copy and paste kinda thing.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I honestly don't have a list I can copy and paste, but let me say....

Your first trip definitely will have you wishing you had certain things and realizing you didn't need others. A lot of that is just personal preference. I like a small axe in camp. Others scoff at that. I'm betting half the guys who go are bringing solar chargers. I consider them a total waste of weight and space for my ways. I haven't ever wanted or needed a gps in Alaska ever....prefer to navigate by learning the area and using developed skills. Many guys can't get past it. I consider my Helinox chair as indispensable to my happiness in camp. You might be lost without a book or perhaps a skillet. There is a huge amount of individuality in any gear list, and all of us can argue why everything on our list is important.

There's some truth to the old saw, "Rather take it and not need it, than need it and not have it". Defining what you truly need vs want is where the lines get blurred. I suggest you compose a list of the things you absolutely know you will need, and another of the things you may want. Don't be afraid to go without luxuries; you're there to hunt and some amount of inconvenience is definitely baked in to any remote hunt.

I believe you're smart to look at other's gear lists. The guys who have done it a bunch of times generally have it fine-tuned....they bring what they will use and very little of anything else.
^^^^^This is an excellent preface for your decision process of what to bring and what to leave...read it several times during the preparation part of your adventure. Well written KD, you nailed it! BTW...no axe for me on a wet area moose hunt :ROFLMAO:!

If I had a list, I'd be happy to share it with you, but I don't use a list. You'll have lots of specific questions over the course of the prepping stage of your adventure, so just reach out. You noted that you're going to a "swampy area" for your hunt, so I'll briefly mention a couple of gear ideas right out of the box...

There's obviously no shortage of water in a wet moose area...getting it safe to drink is a very important gear decision. The water in the wet areas where I am dropped for two-weeks is heavy with micro's that clog filters surprisingly quickly. I bring a Katadyn Base Camp gravity filtration system with a new filter already installed and two extra filters...a couple of years I needed both extras. I've never gotten sick using this system. If you go this route, always double-check that you've installed the filter correctly without any dripping around the seal-ring. I also bring two 10L MSR dromedary bags which are convenient for filling from the filter while I go do another chore. We also spread a tarp when/if it's raining to catch water that we filter.

I'm a big fan of bringing a chair to sit and get off the wet tundra...Helinox is also my choice. Being in a wet hunting area, you'll need to adapt the chair legs so that they don't immediately sink deep into the tundra when you sit down. We cut slits in four old tennis balls for the base of the legs and bring those.

I also like sleeping off the ground in wet tundra areas...an ultra-lite cot levels the playing field pretty well. I've used a Thermarest and more recently a Helinox. Make sure you also bring a sleeping pad with a high r-rating.

BTW, smart choice bringing reliable chest waders...hopefully you're not living in them all day, every day...but it happens some years. Consider also adding insulated knee-high rubber boots to your list...those are my comfortable "camp shoes" on a wet area hunt...and maybe, just maybe, I can actually hunt in them in the location where I am dropped.

So much more to add, but I'll stop here...

RS3579

WKR
Definitely a bowling ball and a hook for a hand! Good luck on your trip.

On the helinox chair and legs sinking into ground…. I’m also have the helinox (bought the zero) and their also have what they call a “ground Sheet” for their models. Basically a nylon square sheet with a pocket At each corner for the four legs. Like $30 and light. A bit steep on price, but I’ll be packing chair and sheet in day pack for hunting.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
On the helinox chair and legs sinking into ground…. I’m also have the helinox (bought the zero) and their also have what they call a “ground Sheet” for their models. Basically a nylon square sheet with a pocket At each corner for the four legs. Like $30 and light. A bit steep on price, but I’ll be packing chair and sheet in day pack for hunting.

X2

I used my Helinox with the ground sheet on my last two moose hunts, definitely works much better than without it.

I hunted last September and took way to many clothes. I hunted mostly dry areas so I didn’t need waders. Next year I’m packing like an elk trip. There will be some extra stuff but two pair of pants, a few shirts, outer gear and rain gear is about it. I did take more socks and boxers to change a bit more often. Good luck on your hunt!

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm always learning...I didn't even know Helinox made a Ground Sheet...I've just been self-adapting for years now.

I just ordered the ground sheet...thanks guys! Although I will admit that I think I might miss the tennis balls just a bit. We always turn our chairs upside down when going into our tents for the night...keeps the seat from filling with water if it rains and it doesn't blow away in a strong wind. It was kind of funny every morning coming out my tent...those four tennis balls sticking up in the air on each chair leg always gave the initial impression that something from outer-space had landed next to my tent in the middle of the night!

My apologies to the OP for the side-track.

mooster

WKR
the tennis balls are a great idea. a couple years ago Amazon had some rubber ball feet purpose made for the same reason, to avoid post holing in soft ground. tennis balls would be cheaper and lighter

2Tundras

FNG
Few tings I learned after multiple ON moose hunts....

1. 6 feet of para cord. Cut a big square of birch bark. Form into a funnel, poke holes where it overlaps and sew it with the para cord. The rest is to make a neck loop. Use it to call and to mimic a bull pissin in a lake (that's a killer not enough guys do.)

2. More wool. Kuiu and all those brands are neat but on a bush waking gear destroying hump through moose crap wool is hard to beat. A one size too large Woolrich shirt in grey or black is what I wear over top of everything else.

3. A good large fanny pack instead of a backpack...its just easier to maneuver around stuff.

4. A pocket sharpening steel. Working a moose over eats an edge. Oh, and a pelvic saw.

5. If you are humping your own meat out the best freighter pack you can afford. The front quarters are ungodly.

6. If you are rifle hunting then quality scope covers. There are no surprise shots and you will be beating the crap out of that gun. So cover that glass up.

7. If you are using a come along or any mechanical advantage to get him out of the ravine he rolled into you want rope that has minimal stretch...otherwise the stretch eliminates the mechanical advantage and you ended up in a yelling match with Joh cause he brought net REI mountaineering crap that is a big shock absorber in case some yahoo falls off a mountain.

THose are all things I learned the hard way. Not a list but each is a lesson in pain. Good luck.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
the tennis balls are a great idea. a couple years ago Amazon had some rubber ball feet purpose made for the same reason, to avoid post holing in soft ground. tennis balls would be cheaper and lighter

Helinox makes vibram ball feet for those chairs. I have them, they work well

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Few tings I learned after multiple ON moose hunts....

1. 6 feet of para cord. Cut a big square of birch bark. Form into a funnel, poke holes where it overlaps and sew it with the para cord. The rest is to make a neck loop. Use it to call and to mimic a bull pissin in a lake (that's a killer not enough guys do.)

2. More wool. Kuiu and all those brands are neat but on a bush waking gear destroying hump through moose crap wool is hard to beat. A one size too large Woolrich shirt in grey or black is what I wear over top of everything else.

3. A good large fanny pack instead of a backpack...its just easier to maneuver around stuff.

4. A pocket sharpening steel. Working a moose over eats an edge. Oh, and a pelvic saw.

5. If you are humping your own meat out the best freighter pack you can afford. The front quarters are ungodly.

6. If you are rifle hunting then quality scope covers. There are no surprise shots and you will be beating the crap out of that gun. So cover that glass up.

7. If you are using a come along or any mechanical advantage to get him out of the ravine he rolled into you want rope that has minimal stretch...otherwise the stretch eliminates the mechanical advantage and you ended up in a yelling match with Joh cause he brought net REI mountaineering crap that is a big shock absorber in case some yahoo falls off a mountain.

THose are all things I learned the hard way. Not a list but each is a lesson in pain. Good luck.

I agree with all that except #1, just buy a bull magnet. I’ve never seen anybody actually build one out of birchbark, this isn’t 1920.

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
You need a lot less clothes than you might think. One pair of pants, one full set of base layer, 2-3 shirts various weights, puffy, rubber (not Gore Tex) rain gear. 3 pairs of socks (not super thick, they'll bunch up on you). Warm hat with flaps to fold over ears. Stocking cap to sleep in. Camp shoes. Small axe. Wet Fire to start a fire. Steripen plus water treatment tabs. Handkerchief. Lightweight gloves (I take 2 pair, light merino). Heavy gloves. A couple of knives (I like one replaceable blade knife).

Lots of instant coffee. Sqwenchers packets. Oatmeal. Cliff bars. Peak Refuel not Mountain House. Instant mashed potatoes (which you cook in empty Peak Refuel bag).

Luci Light. Good sleep system (pad, bag or quilt). Tarps, as many and as light as you can afford (money and flight weight). 2 emergency space blankets are light and small, make for a clean place to lay out meat as it comes off the animal. Paracord or similar, more than you think (I use 300# spectra now, a 300 yard roll is small and light). Wet wipes. Small trowel. Water jug. Nalgene bottle. Empty Gatorade bottle to pee in at night. A couple of lighters (1 in pocket all times, 1 in camp). 2 headlamps (1 in pack that is always with you, 1 in camp). Game bags (more than you think you need). Green cash money to tip pilot, etc.

Ditto on the light camp chair. Don't go cheap either-that one almost cost me once.

Bonus items you might not think of: good toothpicks; pen knife with a nail file and clippers; some zip ties; cut proof glove; some spices for your harvest over a fire.

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
Trash bags (heavy duty, as thick as you can find). More than you think you need. I unpack from the commercial flight into contractor trash bags and bush pilots say "thank you." Just as waterproof as anything else but way lighter.

Stefanko

FNG
There are lots of things that I took out on our trip that we could’ve left at home and also stuff that I wished we would’ve packed, make sure to have some sort of pulley to raise the meat in the tree (raising a hind quarter high enough in a tree without a pulley sucks), heavy duty trash bag to put game bag in to keep your pack bag clean, one or two pair of pants would suffice, 2-3 layering pieces, and a good merino set. DO NOT pack too much of the same meal you will get sick of it really fast, pack some sweets (M&M’s, snickers, etc.). Keep all clothes in dry bags, hip boots are almost a must where we hunted, a knife with replaceable blades, lots of paracord, wet wipes, 2L Water Filter (if you aren’t close to a water source walking back and forth for every meal gets old, 2L should get you 3 meals. I know I’m missing a few things but that’s the general essentials

Just remember when packing that everyone's "wouldn't leave home without it" items are different based on location and experience. Looking for a moose gear list for Alaska is like looking for a midwest whitetail gear list. There is a big difference if you're hunting North Dakota or Kansas. Then consider the area a person could potentially be dropped off to hunt moose in Alaska is about 2-3x the size of the midwest. Just in the 100 or so square miles I've been dropped with the same transporter, I've had years that I could've just had hip waders to load and unload the plane and years I put on my waders at 7 AM and they were on for 14 hours. Always fall back on your transporter for information.

Every moose kill I've been a part of, the meat has been laid out to air cool on a ground rack built with branches. I've never had a tree near camp tall enough to hang a moose quarter off the ground, I've never seen a fish in any of the lakes I've hunted (I've tried), and I'd have to burn some serious boot leather to find a birch tree to build a call out of. That doesn't mean those aren't alright recommendations for someone else. Just be weary on internet information and especially information from folks with maybe one trip. My good friend that flies me said that a handful of years ago he picked up a moose that was not in game bags from a group that said they heard on the internet game bag weren't necessary. Now he checks guys before they go in the field and the same sentiment comes up from at least one group every couple years.

Have your core list of items you would bring on any wildness hunt and then look at some of the "needed" items listed above more as items to consider for where you're going, your allowable weight, and how you like to do things. To add a handy tool to the list; going back to comment #7 that was meant to be a joke, a meat hook is a pretty handy tool that is light and overlooked.

Last edited: