Moose Hunt - Fishing Help needed

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
So a request: Recipes or cooking method for grayling on an ultralight hunt? I always bring a small nonstick skillet for the gas stove, plus I bring a Purcell Trench Grill for use over coals. You backwoods chef-types need to throw a few ideas my way

Any simple prep for a small trout works.

As you know, grayling flesh is delicate in texture and flavor.

Cleaned, and pan fried right from the stream in peanut oil and the usual corn meal covering is hard to beat. Seasoning: a bit of salt.

I grew up near the Genesee River, and I well remember the Genesee beer commercials stating its " the Great Outdoors in a glass".

To me fresh grayling in camp are something like that. But skip the glass.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I fried a grayling in grizzly bear fat....once......it was ghastly!

Yikes Vern! Did you lose a bet or something? I can only imagine what that was like, but then again I don't even want to imagine that! I gagged once skinning a late September grizzly that was on salmon all summer and fall up to that point...his front paws and around his face was horrid.

KD...the only recipe I can give you for grayling is to cook it right away, i.e., from the water to the pan. It is good eating, but it seems to get mushy real fast. At least that's been my experience.

Last edited:
KD...the only recipe I can give you for grayling is to cook it right away, i.e., from the water to the pan. It is good eating, but it seems to get mushy real fast. At least that's been my experience.

I agree that grayling seems generally a soft-fleshed fish when cooked. When you guys say to clean them, I'm assuming you mean gut and de-head....not to fillet. Correct?

Stid2677

WKR
For Grayling, pack some Crisco, easier to deal with on trips as it will not leak. Breading of choice, either pack some or crush crackers or chips or use a combo of all of it. Pan fry in the melted Crisco. :)

duchntr

WKR
I agree that grayling seems generally a soft-fleshed fish when cooked. When you guys say to clean them, I'm assuming you mean gut and de-head....not to fillet. Correct?

I head, gut, scale than cook whole. The smaller the fish the better for quick crispy cooking in small pans. Maybe not as ultralight as your looking for, but bring some seasoned flour a little high temp oil like peanut oil and your set for some great eating.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved

Correct for me...I've never filleted a grayling.

Many times I didn't have much with me, so I've simply gutted them without scaling or removing the head, wrapped them in foil (or used sticks as a make-shift grill), and then cooked them on the coals or rock edge of the fire. Doesn't take long to cook...when done, just peel back the skin, and enjoy...especially when you're on your "twentieth-something" dinner of Mountain House meals during hunting season!

adamsguy

FNG
The spinning rig and Mepps spinners will likely be the ticket. I would fish the edges of the stream first, no matter how slow it seems to be moving. Add a mouse or two to the frogs, nothing like top water hits. Have a great trip.

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
The spinning rig and Mepps spinners will likely be the ticket. I would fish the edges of the stream first, no matter how slow it seems to be moving. Add a mouse or two to the frogs, nothing like top water hits. Have a great trip.
You think top water in September? I was thinking spinners but would normally think summer for mice & frogs on top water.

adamsguy

FNG
Take some ranch doritos for your coating.
You think top water in September? I was thinking spinners but would normally think summer for mice & frogs on top water.
You are correct that It would seemingly be late for frogs but not sure if there are mice and when they would be moving before winter. If you had the space I would have one or two but That is me being enamored with all the ruckus of a top water hit. Mice might be better on a stream when they were crossing as well so might be more iffy with the lake. The spinners would catch you fish.

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
You are correct that It would seemingly be late for frogs but not sure if there are mice and when they would be moving before winter. If you had the space I would have one or two but That is me being enamored with all the ruckus of a top water hit. Mice might be better on a stream when they were crossing as well so might be more iffy with the lake. The spinners would catch you fish.
Thanks. Hunting a series of lakes connect by streams, but would think it’s slow moving h20.

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
So as a follow up for any future hunters that may have wondered same. We found pike on our lake, but all small. 8-10” with and occasional trophy 12” fish. Wire leader seemed to spook them, and due to their diminutive size, wasn’t req’d anyway. Small spoons worked best. Good news is that Y bones weren’t an issue. We basically gutted & scales them, then either pan fried or boiled them letting meat easily separate from the spine, the only noticeable bone.

We did find some kind of larger fish up a feeder creek, but they appeared to be some kind of sucker, don’t think sheefish. We’re schooled there and freely swam around our raft, of course when we had no fishing gear.

0441DB26-8686-4E93-95B4-BC1C71AF72D9.png

Voyageur

WKR
Correct for me...I've never filleted a grayling.

Many times I didn't have much with me, so I've simply gutted them without scaling or removing the head, wrapped them in foil (or used sticks as a make-shift grill), and then cooked them on the coals or rock edge of the fire. Doesn't take long to cook...when done, just peel back the skin, and enjoy...especially when you're on your "twentieth-something" dinner of Mountain House meals during hunting season!
Using the search feature this morning and this thread and this post in particular answered a bunch of my questions.
Would a Tenkara rod be too light for stream/river fishing for grayling? I don't have a lot of experience with mine, but anytime I've hooked a fish much over a foot long the rod starts to seem inadequate. Maybe it's just my inexperience with it, but I'm curious what others think.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like to use a flauro carbon leader with my. Raid line, it disappears in the water so the fish get even less spooked. Flauro leader with a vibrax kills the grey longs and rainbows.

bmrfish

WKR
Cant speak to the fishing but when we flew over a couple years back, bush pilot told us there is a plethora of bears in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk