Moose Hunt Gear List

JGRaider

WKR
I'm in the process of booking a NF moose hunt with Mountain Top Outfitters for this fall . I don't know diddly squat about moose hunting even though I've been big game hunting for almost 40 years now. I obviously know the basics.....rifle, bullets, optics, etc that are necessary, but what about the rest of the gear? I live in the desert of West Texas, so know virtually nothing about hunting in wet, boggy climates. What do you experienced guys recommend? Thanks in advance.

Dry socks, dry gloves...more dry socks and dry gloves...a way to dry out wet socks and gloves...rinse/repeat (no pun intended)... :p

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
Good rain gear,knee high lacrosse boots were perfect.layer clothes you will be hot walking and cold glassing.
Train, train train! I was in excellent shape when I went and was still struggling to keep up with my guide. Those Newfies float over the bogs.

Speedbump

FNG
RichP nailed it about boots. LaCrosse makes several models of boots that are 18" high, with varying level of insulation. 400 or 800 gram of thinsulate along with good wool socks are magical. If you're going out for the day, take a spare set of socks to change into at lunch. Lots of guys like Muck boots.
Of the 3 lodges I've hunted moose out of, Mountain Top is my favorite.
I would not take any heavy cold weather gear, use layers. A rain shell is useful in the wind as well as the rain.
Camo is not necessary, moose are darn near blind, and tend to be curious, so long as the wind is in your face.
A processed bull that is frozen & vacuum packed, will fill a 150 qt cooler. Take another 40 or 50 qt for you snacks, and if the is a little overflow. That is if you drive.
Every cabin I've been in was pretty well set up to dry your stuff out overnight. Consider taking a set of boot driers.
Good hunting.

PA Hunter

WKR
I go every other year to Newfoundland for moose but your really gonna have to listen to your outfitter on gear as every camp within each outfitter is different. Where I go I use around 18 in rubber boots with good merino socks and layering clothes. You should get the best rain gear you can afford as it pretty much rains allot. Temps can be always changing from 50s to 20s raining to snowing. I always bring a replaceable blade outdoor edge knife as their hide will dull a fixed blade real quick. Where I hunt I go by boat or atv or argo at first light then hike maybe 1.5 miles then call till lunch time. Back out in afternoon same thing every day just different spots.

Warm layering clothes that you can hike in dont bring any heavy stand hunting deer clothing or you will sweat to death walking. Also always follow your guides footsteps or you may take a plunge in a bog that you thought was only 6 inches deep.

Light weight warm layering clothes did i mention? I use first lite merino wool next to skin,then various KUIU including rain gear. Sometimes I wear the rain gear even when its not raining because of wet brush from overnight dew. Also I like my Darn tough merino socks.

Leave the orange at home not needed.

mooster

WKR
Muck boots and sturdy rain gear that won’t tear from walking thru low scrub or some kind of juniper or cedar that you have to fight through.